Bottling with Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I've got a Belgian I'd like to bottle with Brett yeast, but I have it in liquid form. Is there a way to do this? Do I need to filter out the other yeast, or am I just better off infecting the original batch and then bottle like I normally would?

I think you need to add the brett to the fermenter or risk bottle bombs. Bretty can consume sugars normal brewing yeast does not, so if you prime, add brett and bottle, you are asking for trouble. I fermented a tripel with chimay yeast, added brett, and some simple sugar. I plan to let the brett work for 6 months prior to bottling.

Oh, excuse me, I thought this was a Brett Farve thread

That was going to be my next question. If bottling with Brett Favre, should you allow extra time for him to say he'll come, cancel, say he'll come, then cancel again, and finally show up an hour before bottling at some other guy's house?

That was going to be my next question. If bottling with Brett Favre, should you allow extra time for him to say he'll come, cancel, say he'll come, then cancel again, and finally show up an hour before bottling at some other guy's house?
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

thats freaking gold i was about to type that lol

I do plan on using claussenii. But now I don't know if I want to use it on my Saison or my Belgian Golden Strong. If Saison I'll bottle it, if GBS I'll ferment it. Hmm.. decisions, decisions...

If I do end using it to bottle the Saison, do I just pitch it in to the bottling bucket along with some priming sugar then bottle as normal?

I just bottled some 3711 Saison with Brett L, Brux and C.

Also did a few Strong Golden with the same 3 brett strains.

I sugared the keg and added the bretts with a syringe. About 2mls per 750ml bottle.

In about a month I will try the first bottle and see where it is at. Hope they are good because I used all the bretts I had in storage!

BW

I bottled some of the first 3711 Saison batch with three different "brett" strains about a month ago. The other night my will power gave out and I opened one. Awesome. Just plain awesome.

I aged the beer in a keg stored at 34 for 2 weeks, warmed it up, racked to clean keg, dosed with sugar and filled some heavy glass bottles. After they were all full, using a syringe, I added 2mls of a thin yeast solution. So the idea was to only have the "bretts" fermenting the sugars. The beer was crystal clear when I racked it over to the keg so I don't think any of the 3711 yeast made it over, at least not much.

The third batch should be ready soon and I plan on building up some Orval yeast and bottling 5 gallons.

I just dumped the vial into the secondary.
b. Lambicus in one and b. Bruxellensis in another.
I monitored the gravity for a couple months and didn't see any change so I added
corn sugar and bottled.

I'm going to try to keep some for a while to see if I get any gushers or bottle bombs.
'Taint easy!

I did a BGS last year that I bottled off brett I cultered from a Orval bottle (they bottle condition on brett).

This is what I did.

1) I made a pint starter from Light DME.
2) while crashing it, I drank the Orval, but reserved a bit of the beer to get the slurry off the bottom of the bottle.
3) I pitched the slurry onto the starter.
4) about 24hrs later, when the starter was karausening, I primed the BGS with sugar, pitched the starter into the bottling bucket, mixed and
5) bottled.

It worked well. It was really interesting to note the dramatic changes in flavors in the BGS as it aged and the Brett continued to do it's thing.

g

I still have a few of my dubbel with B. Brux.
The one year anniversary is coming up soon.
The Brett has been working the whole time.
I bottled with 8oz corn sugar at 4 months.
They are now a little overcarbonated and I have to open over the sink.

I've decided to keep the next batch in glass for at least 6 months and use less priming sugar.

From what I recall of reading on Brett strains it produces significantly less CO2 than Sach. especially when working as a secondary yeast. So I would say you could pitch your brett right in as you are prepping to bottle......

That being said I have had 3 of my last four beers be bottle bombs .... two over primed and one a barley wine bottled at 1.027.....

Back