Bottling wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teegasus

Reaction score
Hello

So today I went ahead and bottled my first ever wine.

I did forget to add metabisulfite just prior to bottling. I did add metabisulfite approximately two weeks ago during clearing.

Did I just screw it up, or is the addition I made two weeks ago good enough?

Without more info it's hard to give advice. However, things are likely just fine and you should still have some residual sulfite in your wine. A lot of natural wine makers use no sulfite additions. You might not want to age it too long to be safe. Skoal?!

Without more info it's hard to give advice. However, things are likely just fine and you should still have some residual sulfite in your wine. A lot of natural wine makers use no sulfite additions. You might not want to age it too long to be safe. Skoal?!
Skål!

Hello,
I have been doing wine for more than 10 years. Red and white wine and i never put any chemical in it. I wait a good 6 to 9 months before bottling and keep it in a cool room. In summer the warmest temperatures that it reachs is 20 degreed. Never had any problem.
I use real grape. For red wine, i degrap the grape and let it maceratw between 5 to 14 days depending of the type of grape. This will allow the wine to develop some tannin which will help the wine to age properly several years. Up to now my oldest wine bottle is 5 years.

Latest posts

Back