Bottling wand sticking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nopride

Reaction score
I had one of those bottling nights that really makes me can't wait until I move to kegging. I have one of those plain old bottle wands without the spring. I've never had problems with it before, but last night the pin kept getting stuck and not closing. So, it would overflow the bottle and spray every where. It was a real PITA, not to mention precious beer was wasted.

I'm not sure if I didn't clean it well enough last time, but I want to make sure I avoid having this happen again. I'm doing a soak in oxyclean to hopefully get it nice and clean. However, are the bottling wands with the springs in them better? If so, I might as well pick them up, but I thought I would ask for opinions.

On top of this, a piece broke of my wing capper while I was capping. I was able to finish, but it was just the topping on the cake for the night. On the bright side, I will soon have a very tasty Irish red ale. This beer is already tasting awesome!

I had that happen to me with my old bottling wand (the springless kind). It pissed me off so much that the moment the last bottle was filled I snapped the bastard in half. I picked up a spring loaded one and it has been working perfectly so far. I also like that it comes apart so you can make sure nothing is getting trapped in there.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. The old wand is going straight to the trash!

Latest posts

Back