Bottling vs Canning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion wayne

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When we started out we just put all the beer we made in kegs to serve in our restaurant bar.
Then as we progressed, we started to bottle the ale in 22 oz. bottles. When we went to the contract brewing company, we had them canning the product. Some of the cans leaked and some did not hold carbonation. I liked the bottles better. We stopped the canning process and have gone back to only serving on draft out of kegs.

A pizza place with brewery near me just started selling canned 6 packs that were done with a mobile canner. So far so good, they come to you and can out of the bright tank.

There is a brew pub I went to in Centennial CO. If you wanted to take any of their current brews on tap home with you, they'd can them on the spot. These were big 32 fl oz aluminum cans or better. I actually preferred that over anything else I can think of. At that time I was traveling by car and had 19 or 20 hours of driving to get home. The cans made transporting the several beers I wanted to have later much easier to keep in the car than having to worry about bottles.

MN allows 2 sizes of carryout containers: 64oz growlers and 750ml glass mini-growlers or aluminum crowlers. I have bought beer in both kinds of 750s, but have found the aluminum crowlers will keep the beer fresh longer than glass.

I rarely see glass 750s used anymore, as cans don't require separate purchase of the container.

Some small breweries will fill and seal a crowler while the customer waits.

Latest posts

Back