Bottling via Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Pizzel

Reaction score
Two questions-

I was wondering if it was possible to carbonate in a keg and then use the system to bottle, thus reducing sediment from carbonation sugars?

Also, when kegging, what's the general consensus and benefits of using 1/2 of the carbonation sugars vs. zero sugars and all CO2?

Sorry if they're newb questions!

As far as bottling from a keg, there are three ways of doing this. You can pour directly into the bottle by attaching a hose to your faucet and pouring it into a bottle. Some people have success doing this, but I wouldn't do it in my opinion. Second you can use a counter pressure bottle filler. They cost about 45 bucks and will work well but are a little complicated to use (I personally own one of these and love it). Lastly, you can use a blichmann beer gun which is similar in principle to a counter pressure bottle filler but is much easier to use. These cost about 100 bucks when its all said and done. Before making any purchase, definitely check out the sticky called "we no need no stinkin beer gun" which explains how to build a beer gun for much cheaper. As far as your second question, I use the set it and forget it method of carbonation (also another sticky in the thread) which essentially means you set your pressure at about 12 psi and let it sit for about 2 weeks. I don't use carbonation sugars and just use co2 and have had really great success. Hopefully this helps!

Back