Bottling temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wgonfan

Reaction score
So I bottled my first batch today. The recipe kit I used says to store the bottles at 60 - 70 degrees, but the yeast I used recommends fermentation at 65-72. I use the same fridge for my fermenter & bottles. Do I store the bottles at what the recipe recommended or at yeast strian fermentation temps? The fridge I was planning on storing my bottles in is also doing double duty to keep my fermenter cool. I keep the ambient temp in there right at 60. The ambient temp in my house varies between 66 - 73. Where should I store my bottles?

If it's a choice between 60 and 66-73 I'd go with the latter. 60 is a little low for carbonation and it will take a while.

I've never worried about the recommended yeast temps when it comes to bottling. I try to stay around high 60s.

Once the beer is done fermenting I usually don't worry about keeping an exact temp for them. I mean I don't let them freeze or bake or anything, but 70ish is usually just fine.

The fermentation process is complete at the point of bottling (except for the small amount of sugar added at bottling). I think the yeast temperature is going to be more relevant during fermentation then at bottling. I would keep it above the lowest temp listed on the yeast while bottling.

70 Degrees for 3 weeks id the standard recomendation. Lower temps would just take longer. I have read about someone saying higher bottle condition temps leading to off flavors, but I havn't had any problems letting the bottles sometimes get to the upper 70s

Latest posts

Back