Bottling sugar and Fruit puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerd Bro

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a 5 gallon beer with one can (49 oz) of mango puree that has been in secondary for a week, and it seems the mini second fermentation is complete. Can I still add my 5 oz dextrose for bottling? Or am I at risk of bottle bombs due to the possible remaining sugar in the mango puree?

I have a 5 gallon beer with one can (49 oz) of mango puree that has been in secondary for a week, and it seems the mini second fermentation is complete. Can I still add my 5 oz dextrose for bottling? Or am I at risk of bottle bombs due to the possible remaining sugar in the mango puree?

As you suspect, that depends whether or not the sugars from the fruit have finished fermenting. I keg, so I don't sweat that too much. But if I were bottling, I would wait until I was fairly sure. Since you used puree, homogenous mixing of the sugars and water from the puree with the beer should have occurred relatively quickly (as compared with larger fruit chunks), so I would probably just take a couple of hydrometer readings 2-3 days apart for a little added peace of mind.

Unless your beer got cold and stalled the yeast, they should have completely fermented the sugars from the Mango Puree. Check the gravity, and if it is where you expect it to be, bottle as normal, with the normal amount of sugar.

Back