Bottling/sediment control question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
Hello,

Have a beer in process that I will leave in carboy fermenting for at least two if not 3 weeks. Won't bottle until I get stable FG reading. This particular beer has alot of sediment/trubb etc. I understand how to move it carefully to a bottling bucket with an autosiphon. Question how long is it safe to leave in the bottling bucket with sealed lid and airlock before I bottle ? Want to let it settle out again in the bucket again so I don't bottle trubb and sediment. Also what is the best way to introduce the bottling sugar into the bucket wihtout introducing too much oxygen ? I normally would introduce the sugar while transfering into the bottling bucket but I am guessing that I cant do that and leave it in the bucket for a couple days before I bottle. Thanks for any advice.

Steve

You're better off leaving it in the fermenter to do whatever settling it will do. You can transfer from above the sediment level, leaving just about all of it in the fermenter. Then you won't have to transfer a second time.

For adding the sugar, I gently pour the syrup into the bottom of the empty bottling bucket, then rack the beer into it. Have the tube flat on the bottom, around the outside of the bucket on a tangent. It will mix the sugar syrup in pretty well. A few years ago I started giving the beer 20 very gentle stirs after racking to make sure it is thoroughly mixed in. The mixing is optional, but I decided to do it to be sure I don't get any bottle bombs.

I rarely bottle , however when I do I set my fv up at least 24 hrs in advance. So the time I bottle i don't need to move it , I bring the bottling bucket to it .

Latest posts

Back