bottling question (Mr Beer kit)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrros7

Reaction score
Newbie ALert!:
Sorry to post this here but the official Mr Beer Thread is quite lengthy to find specific answers. My question is when bottling from a Mr Beer fermenter, or ANY one really, am I trying to avoid getting any of the settled material into my bottles? Or is that the tasty stuff that will help condition and carbonate and flavor the beer? I tried to only get the clear beer into the bottles but now I'm worried I left all the good stuff behind. (will that effect carbonation at all?)

Thanks so much.

The stuff on the bottom of the fermenter is "trub" and you want to leave it behind when you transfer to bottling bucket.

Like C-Rider said, the stuff on the bottom is trub. You want to avoid getting that into the bottles (although it should settle during conditioning). One way to help with this is to slightly raise the front of the fermenter a little bit. Of course, this will allow less beer to be bottled but should help.

In fact, it is desirable that a primary be left long enough so all of this trub settles and compacts so much that it is like a 'cake' of yeast so when you rack it stays behind almost totally.

B

There will be enough yeast in suspension to carbonate just fine. Some time after bottling/condition there should still be a slight build up in bottom of your bottles as more yeast/sediment fall out. After you pop open your first bottle, you'll want to pour/drink only to the last 1/2 inch or so in the bottle, the trub is really bitter.

Thanks so much guys! I was concerned about not having enough yeast for carbonation if I left it all on the bottom but thanks for setting me straight.

Follow up question now: Will the priming sugar ALL be converted by the yeast in the carbonation stage. I plan on leaving it for 3 weeks after reading all the posts in here. Will the beer taste too 'sweet' if not fully carbonated yet? or just flat? or both? And does that priming sugar increase the ABV at all?

Back