Bottling pre-carbonated beer with starsan for soonish consumption

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knifewine

Reaction score
I'm wondering what you wise forum folks think is the best method of sanitation for bottling some pre-carbonated beer for the upcoming weekend?

My options are starsan, iodophor, and a good hot rinse. If we don't drink all the homebrew this weekend (yeah right), then I might have some bottles around for a few weeks.

My first thought is just to use starsan, but it seems people usually suggest this method when bottle-carbonating. Since i'm going to be drinking/sharing it much sooner and the beer is already carbonated, i'm worried to funk it with starsan since there's little/no active yeast to eat the starsan foam goodies, and not much time for that to happen anyway.

I'm starting to think I should just give them a good cleaning and a hot rinse with water, fill em up and throw em in the keezer for the debauched weekend coming up.

If they are clean ahead of time, I dont see why any of the methods wouldn't work well. Do you have a bottle tree? Properly diluted Starsan or Iodophor (starsan most of the time) on a bottle tree to dry is what I use without any problems.

Have fun:tank:

I use Starsan and just shake out as much as I can before bottling.

The StarSan sanitation process does not REQUIRE active yeast in order to degrade its chemical composition. It is the process of diluting it, raising its pH that causes the foamy goodness we all rely on to fall out and disassociate into other compounds that, as a side benefit, yeast can use as a nutrient.

Don't rely on just water, make sure those bottles are clean and use a proper sanitizer, prepared at the recommended strength. Think about it, with either product, you are putting a few ounces into multiple gallons of water. Then you are leaving a very small fraction of an ounce of that dilute solution (like the previous post said, drain the bottles well) to mix with 12 oz of your beer.

Don't fear the foam!:mug:

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't fear the foam normally but since I plan to bottle today and drink tomorrow I wasn't sure if this would make my awesome kolsch and ipa taste like moldy shoes.

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't fear the foam normally but since I plan to bottle today and drink tomorrow I wasn't sure if this would make my awesome kolsch and ipa taste like moldy shoes.

No- it'll be fine. I often sanitize a growler right before filling, if I'm not sure it'll be kept in the fridge for the weekend or drunk right away. I do it all the time with bottles, and then fill with my beergun.

No- it'll be fine. I often sanitize a growler right before filling, if I'm not sure it'll be kept in the fridge for the weekend or drunk right away. I do it all the time with bottles, and then fill with my beergun.

Thanks! Exactly what I needed to know.

Back