Bottling on Saturday/ quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKrumm

Reaction score
So as the title implies, I'm bottling on saturday. I was wondering if you guys think I should cold crash from now until then or just leave it be. Haven't cold crashed before, but I've heard a lot of good thing about it.

If you're worried about having a clear beer, CC it. It's not necessary, I think at that point it's just preference. If you've got the time and the room, try it out. If you don't care, don't bother. :)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think it has any noticeable impact on the final product. Or is there a concern about having a small amount of yeast in suspension for bottle carbing?

I cannot really answer your question as I never did it, but make sure to use a S type airlock, as cold crashing will reduce the volume of your beer and suck some air in. With a 3 piece airlock, liquid from the airlock would end up in your beer.

Clarity wise, waiting a month or two has always been good for me, without cold crashing.

I never cold crash either. Does it help clear the beer? Yeah. Is it worth the minor hassle? Not really, unless you care about clarity.

I never cold crash either. Does it help clear the beer? Yeah. Is it worth the minor hassle? Not really, unless you care about clarity.

That about says it!

I CC my lighter beers, and the hell with the darker ones. If it's a really light beer, then it's getting cold crash and gelatin.

So my rules of thumb.

Light beer - CC
Really light beer - CC and gelatin
Wheat Beer - God help you clearing it up
Dark beer - Who cares

This may not be correct but if you are bottling then you would not want to cold crash as you'll have to bring the temp back up to get the yeast active for natural carbonation. If you keep it cold then it will take a really long time to carbonate. Cold crash before kegging is okay since you're force carbing. Anyone want to confirm or correct this info!?!?

ciphin78 said:
This may not be correct but if you are bottling then you would not want to cold crash as you'll have to bring the temp back up to get the yeast active for natural carbonation. If you keep it cold then it will take a really long time to carbonate. Cold crash before kegging is okay since you're force carbing. Anyone want to confirm or correct this info!?!?

+1

If you cold crash your yeast will die or go dormant. This will prove problematic with natural carbonation (bottle conditioning), UNLESS you add more yeast at bottling time and store at room temp.

I haven't cold crashed any of my brews as of yet but as stated the yest will do dormant-I doubt most yeast would die-and bottle condition would take you about another week.

I never cold crash. By the time it conditions in the bottles at room temp for 3-5 weeks,then into the fridge for 2 more,they're very clear. No need for the extra step.

I hardly think the yeast would die very soon in the fridge for a cold crash, assuming a fairly hearty ale strain. Dormant? Yes. Lag time on the carbing? Practically gauranteed. But I have trouble believing you'd have to repitch at bottling. I guess we'll find out though. I cc'd an IPA for 2 days (it just wasn't getting clear enough for me, and I didn't want to go buy a clarifier), which probably wasn't long enough to accomplish anything, but we'll see what effect it has on carbing. Here's hoping I didn't commit yeasticide.

Back