bottling my wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so I made my first batch of wine (from a kit) and I'm ready to bottle. Unfortunetly when I bought the kit I didn't realize it made 5 gallons. I do not have enough empty wine bottles for 5 gallons. I was wondering, is it possible to use beer bottles to store the rest?

Yup and if you wanted you could now even carbonate what goes into the beer bottles, although a lot of kits stabilize the wine so that won't work.

Most wine kits (in fact all of the "regular" ones I've ever seen) make 6 (US) gallons. Just checking, in case it makes even more than you realized!

Caps are the way to go!

Your beer bottles ARE pry tops arn't they, and NOT twist-offs, right!

Pogo

How long will wine in beer bottles be good. I want to start making wine (a small batch for 1-2 gallons) but don't want to invest in a corker yet. I plan on bulk aging then bottling in some beer bottles. Should I get the oxygen barrier caps or will regular do?

Wine can last very long in beer bottles. Assuming you will be using camden tabs or k-meta in your wine, I would not worry about using O2-absorbing caps.

Latest posts

Back