bottling lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCHB

Reaction score
Hi everyone
This is my first attempt to make a lager. now my batch is on lagering step. next week I’m going to bottling. Should I store the bottles in room temperature (for me it’s 22°) same as Ale?

Yes, until carbonated (which takes a bit longer than for ales - maybe three to four weeks). Then store cool if possible.

Yes, until carbonated (which takes a bit longer than for ales - maybe three to four weeks). Then store cool if possible.
First thanks for your answer, then do you recommend lagering before carbonation ( for me it’s in carboy) or lagering after finishing carbonation on bottle?
Thanks

Most brewers lager in carboy. I know a few that lager in bottles after carbonation, and that works well also.

I lager in bottles after carbonation. I'm sure it'll work about the same either way, but that's just how I have chosen to do it. To me, it seems easier to ferment, bottle, carbonate, and lager at the end. Otherwise you're fermenting at whatever temperature you're choosing, then lowering to a lager temperature, then ramping back up to carbonate properly (34/70 will carbonate at a lower temperature, but it takes forever...). For my set up, its just easier to maintain the ferment at a cooler temp, then bring up for bottling/carbonation, and lastly getting them cold for an extended period.

Back