Bottling Lager & Possible restart of Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno84

Reaction score
I searched and did not really see a question like mine. So here it is:

I brewed an extract Bock and fermented for almost 4 weeks. The fermentation stopped around 1.022. I checked it for almost a week to see if it was done. Then I racked to secondary and lagered at 36-38 for about 6 weeks.

I pulled out the secondary to my kitchen today because I usually let my carboy sit in my kitchen for at least 8 hours to let things settle before bottling. Well, I am watching it look like it has kicked up fermentation again. I am seeing little pieces of yeast float up from the bottom to the top then fall back down to the bottom. I just took a reading and it looks like it is showing 1.027.

Obviously, either my earlier readings are wrong or the one I just took is wrong. I did not account for the temp of the wort.

Questions:

1. Is fermentation started again? And if so, should I let it go at the proper fermentation temp for this yeast strain?

2. Or am I just seeing some activity because the beer is warming from 37 degrees to room temperature, but will stabilize in the bottle? I think I should let my sample sit until room temp and take another reading.

This brew has confounded me. It is my first lager and my first stalled fermentation. It originally stalled at 1.033 and I warmed it up for two days at 70 degrees and then slowly brought it back to 50. I am assuming that also served as a D rest.

Stats:

OG: 1.062
Yeast: White Labs German Bock
5 gallons

Thanks for any help.

Back