bottling Irish Red at four weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zokfend

Reaction score
First time brewer. Please hold laughter until end!

I'm preparing 5 gallons of Irish Red. The OG measured 1.058 (already adjusted up for wort temp) right before transferring to glass carboy. It's been in the carboy now for 3-1/2 weeks. Last gravity was taken yesterday, and it was at 1.017 (adjusted up from 1.016 due to 70 wort temp). It's been at this gravity for one week now.

I was planning on bottling this weekend (not going to do a secondary). I doubt gravity will drop down to 1.014, which is the FG in my recipe. Right now the beer tastes like flat irish beer, smells good, definitely an irish red. It's also clear finally, a nice deep red clear color.

I've read that it's advantageous to wait until FG reaches 1.014 for flavor. But I've also read how 4 weeks in a carboy is the limit, otherwise the flavor will start to get affected by the trub at the bottom of the carboy. I've also read how if it's stopped fermenting before the recipe's FG, I should gently swirl my carboy around to reactivate the yeast . . . . . but I'm hesitant to do that because it will loosen up all that junk at the bottom and I'll have to wait until it's clear again (and there's no telling how long that would take).

If I bottle this weekend with a FG of 1.017 (or let's say it does drop down to 1.016), I've read others say there could be more fermentation than expected since it was never finished, resulting in higher C02 and bottle bombs.

What's your take on this?

You are fine to bottle. Remember that once you do 3 hydrometer readings 3 days in a row and the gravity does not change - your fermentation is complete. The final gravity that they give is only an estimate and can vary based on fermentation conditions, amount of yeast, nutrients, aeration, etc. Go bottle and RDWHAM(micro)B.
-Matt

Assuming you took more than one SG reading and it came back with 1.017, right?

Was this an all grain or extract batch? If you post up the recipe, we can see what the target FG would be in software... If you did all grain, what was the mash temperature, and duration?

I've had recipe's go on both sides of the target gravity for their FG... I had one finish 5 points low, and another is about 7 points high (has held at that for about a month)... Posted/listed FG numbers are not set in stone. More important that you gave the brew enough time (which you have) and that you have identical readings spanning enough days.

You could give the brew a gentle swirl, and then let it rest for a few days. It should clear out again.

I don't see any issue with letting it go a few more days (or even a few weeks) more on the yeast. Of course, that does depend on what yeast you used and what temp it's been at. Since it sounds like it's been going in the warmer side of things, it's probably fermented all that it can.

Since you've already tasted it, another good point on your side, you can see how it's basically ready...

It's really up to you if you bottle at the 4 week point, or swirl the yeast a little and give it another week... Either way, prime when you're ready (measure the priming sugar by weight, use the tools to get your target CO2 volumes, don't just dump a bag of sugar in) and bottle it up...

Do remember to give it at least 3 weeks at 70F for carbonation, then chill down for a few days before drinking the first one. Pour it into a room temp glass and enjoy...

Sounds to me like it is ready to go. I wouldn't be to concerned about any target gravity, think of it as a goal unless it's above 1.020. If it cleared then it's ready.

Assuming you took more than one SG reading and it came back with 1.017, right?
the last two i took were at 1.017, and i took those readings 4 days apart. i will take a third one on sunday.

Was this an all grain or extract batch?
extract. i don't have recipe with me, but FG on recipe was 1.014.

I don't see any issue with letting it go a few more days (or even a few weeks) more on the yeast. Of course, that does depend on what yeast you used and what temp it's been at.
i used two packs of that liquid yeast activator. it's been between 68 and 70 degrees for 3-1/2 weeks.

for priming, i was planning on 3/4 cup of dextrose and 2 cups of water, boil for 5 minutes (or until sugar is complete dissolved). 3/4 cup (or 6 oz) is what my brewing friend told me to use, and what i've read on various forum threads. i understand this is by volume, not weight. please correct me if i'm wrong.

With an OG of 1.058, one smack pack would have done it... As long as it puffed up within an hour, or two (or started puffing up) at ~70-75F once you broke the internal nutrient pack, you would have been fine... You don't want to over-pitch yeast by too much...

Please tell me you didn't use a pre-hopped extract...

The SG readings are far enough apart to be considered a FG... Wouldn't hurt to take one more before you rack to the bottling bucket... Just to confrm...

Depending on how much carbonation you want in the brew, will determine how much sugar to use... Use the widget here to figure out how much you'll actually want to use... Even at 70F for a fermenting temperature, you wouldn't use more than about 4.5 ounces, unless you want maximum carbonation for the style... I would go more to the middle of the style, maybe a little higher, for a first time. Less chance of bottle bombs that way.

I carbonated my AG Irish Red Ale to 2.4-2.45 CO2 volumes... After just over 2 weeks at ~70F it's carbonated nicely... Carbonation lasts as long as the brew does in the glass (granted, that's not too long, even for a pint)... The Irish Red Ale style has a CO2 volume range of 2.1-2.6... I hate it when people are told the same amount of priming sugar for everything. Not all brews should be carbonated to the same level. Some are better with less carbonation, while others need more... What temperature you fermented at will also dictate how much sugar/sugars you need to use... You'll need less if you fermented cooler than warmer. Eventually, you'll figure out where in a range you prefer your brews carbonated. I would use that to decide how much to carbonate with, not a blanket amount.

I've been using a digital scale, with decent accuracy, to measure everything... I find it has issues with small weights (under 2 ounces)... It seems more accurate when I use grams there... I also have a small scale, that's very accurate for grams, that I use for tiny amounts, like yeast nutrient. That one has a max range of 70 grams...

If you haven't already started your next batch, it's time to... You'll be amazed at how fast the beer will vanish on you... Especially if you have friends that like good beer, and they find out you're making really good beer... :drunk:

Please tell me you didn't use a pre-hopped extract...
no i did not :)

i'm going to do some very quick research on c02 volumes. i appreciate your input. that's one part that is NOT in my recipe.

Not all brews should be carbonated to the same level. Some are better with less carbonation, while others need more... What temperature you fermented at will also dictate how much sugar/sugars you need to use... You'll need less if you fermented cooler than warmer.
i appreciate this bit of information. i'm learning more and more every day. to be honest, i didn't even realize that c02 volume could even be measured. i figured good carbonation was measured by how thick of a head is on the beer :cross:

i will probably try 2.4 to start, and see how it goes. if it's too much or not enough, then i'll know to adjust the amount when i next brew an irish red.

no i did not :)

i'm going to do some very quick research on c02 volumes. i appreciate your input. that's one part that is NOT in my recipe.

i appreciate this bit of information. i'm learning more and more every day. to be honest, i didn't even realize that c02 volume could even be measured. i figured good carbonation was measured by how thick of a head is on the beer :cross:

i will probably try 2.4 to start, and see how it goes. if it's too much or not enough, then i'll know to adjust the amount when i next brew an irish red.

Learning is a good thing... I went with 2.4-2.45 on mine and it has a good head on it... The grains that go into the recipe also impacts the head, including how thick it is and retention. CO2 volumes give you the head, but it's up to the recipe to hold onto it... So it's not just carbonation.

BTW, 'good carbonation' to me, means carbonation lasting for as long as the brew is in your glass... :D :drunk:

For a beginner, you're asking a lot of good questions, and starting on a good path. How far you go, and where you branch off, is up to you... Where some will just go blind into areas, others like to know what results they'll get by going into that area.

Where some will just take the bag of priming sugar that came with a kit, toss it in and call it done right. Others will accurately measure (or as close as they can) the amount of sugar (by weight, not volume) to get the carbonation they desire (or at least know what it's supposed to provide)... Even a half ounce of sugar can make a difference... What you've brewed will also make a difference... You wouldn't prime a BarleyWine with the same sugar as an IPA. Just as if you fermented at 60F, you won't use the same amount of sugar as a brew fermented at 70F... Knowing what effect things will have is important. At least to me it is...

Do as you will... But it comes down to how much impact do YOU want to have on the end result, and how much do you want to leave to others?

this has got to be BY FAR the most cordial, friendly and helpful forum community that i have ever registered with and asked such newbie questions. thank you.

this has got to be BY FAR the most cordial, friendly and helpful forum community that i have ever registered with and asked such newbie questions. thank you.

Hang around a while longer. We like helping people out but it's not always so friendly and cordial. ;)

Hang around a while longer. We like helping people out but it's not always so friendly and cordial. ;)

How true... I'm an offender of not being so friendly to newbies... :cross: Actually, I think I'm an equal opportunity offender... I just don't bark at the big dogs...

That being said... You started off asking good questions, and had your first brew on the yeast the entire time... In my book, that scores HUGE points (in the right direction)... Asking before you do something is a GOOD THING... Better to delay doing something to make sure you're doing it in the right way...

Another potential good resource for new brewers would be meetup groups... I joined one shortly before joining here. It was after brewing with one of the members (of both sites), that I joined this site (he told me about it, don't blame him :eek:)...

I hope there is not a forum policy on necroposting, but I figured I should atleast share my experiences taste-testing my very first batch of Irish Red (recipe from Brewing Classic Styles book).

First off, many thanks to the Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer thread by Revvy and the many other contributors. That helped me out a lot.

I bottle conditioned for 3 weeks and two days, then refrigerated a couple beers for 3 days before I did a taste test. Needless to say, I was not disappointed.

1. The beer was actually clear, even after only 72hrs refrigeration.
2. Didn't hold a head for very long, but then again neither do the reds I get on draft at the sports bars. Second beer I sorta free-falled the beer a little more and forced a nice 1" head that lasted for a couple minutes.
3. 2.4 c02 volumes (in my case 4.27oz of dextrose) resulted in a very nicely carbonated beer, held carbonation until the last gulp. Refreshing.
4. Initial sip was slightly sweet, and very full flavor. After-taste was just a tad bitter for my preference, so I figure next time I'll back off a smidge on the amount of bittering hops.
5. Beer was darker than what I was expecting for an Irish Red. Don't know what to say; I followed the recipe.

Long story short, very successful first go-around. I figure I'll probably do a couple more LME's before I try an all-grain. I still have supplies to buy, and I need to convince my wife that the money spent is for a good cause.

Next go-around, my buddie and I are going to do a weizen and dunkelweizen - 5 gallons each - and split them w/ each other so we have some of each to bring home.

Thanks!

Good to hear that it has gone well for you... I have some of my own Irish red ale in the fridge now... I might have one tonight, not sure just yet. I have very few of these left, so I'm going to reserve some for when I go up to celebrate the day with family (on Saturday)...

I did chill down some of my old ale to share there too. It's been in bottles just over three weeks, so it's time to test one. I have another in the fridge so that if it's good, I won't need to wait so long before having one. I used the 750ml Belgian bottles, so I doubt I'll drink more than one a day/evening... :D Especially at 8.1%...

Once you do go all grain, you'll have much better control over the final product. Just point out to SWMBO that going all grain will pay for itself pretty fast... Once you figure out how much you're spending on extract, and what you can get grain for, it's just the hardware that can hurt initially... Usually converting saves you the cost within the first 12 months, depending on how much you're brewing...

here's my Irish Brown, lol.

irishbrown.jpg

and it was pretty tasty.

Extract beer has tendency to be a little darker if you put the lme in at the beginning of the boil. Beer looks good though. Congratulations on your first brew. Hope you started another brew already.

If you don't drink all of this the first week and give some of it a chance to mature a bit more, you may find that it isn't at all bitter. Don't rush to change the recipe.

Back