Bottling in a swing top growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kokonutz

Reaction score
Bottling day is around the corner. I have almost enough bottles but I’m gonna be short. Any thoughts on me using a growler with a swing top like this one (see attached image)?

I know most of us will probably say try it and find out but I was just seeing if anyone had experience.

Attachments

• 981BBD3E-9B1D-4504-AC94-38D0F039712E.jpeg
    981BBD3E-9B1D-4504-AC94-38D0F039712E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
Not a good idea because growlers are meant to maintain pressure, not withstand increasing pressure that comes from priming. There are a few threads on here about this.

You've still got time to drink some more store bought beer for the bottles.....just sayin......

Not a good idea because growlers are meant to maintain pressure, not withstand increasing pressure that comes from priming. There are a few threads on here about this.
I think you are confusing this with 5 gallon corneys...those will leak if not "pressurized"...can be a problem if not accounted for when keg carbing (with sugar for example).
The preload in those types of swing tops is plenty to hold increasing pressure ...just clean REALLY well under the rubber and make sure it isn't cracked...
not ideal though....sure you can't buy a 6 pack and have some friend over? 😉

also it's worth mentioning that you may want to check if that's a butyl, EPDM or rather silicone gasket...likely the latter.
Even if the interior is "pressurized", oxygen can still diffuse across the silicone (google Fick's Law) since the partial pressure of oxygen will decrease as the yeast consume it during carbonation...
So after it's carbed, drink the growler first!

When I bottle, I often include a growler or two in the mix. I don't have that exact one, but I have used my Stanley growler without a problem. I've got a couple with Grolsch type lids which work well and then screw-on lids where I have bought better plastic tops than the metal ones with cardboard. You just have to be careful pouring because of the sediment, you don't always pour it all out at once. They make for easy transport to share with friends.
20200521_230807.jpg

Last edited:
I think you are confusing this with 5 gallon corneys...those will leak if not "pressurized"...can be a problem if not accounted for when keg carbing (with sugar for example).
The preload in those types of swing tops is plenty to hold increasing pressure ...just clean REALLY well under the rubber and make sure it isn't cracked...
not ideal though....sure you can't buy a 6 pack and have some friend over? 😉

I wasn't actually referring to their ability to hold pressure- and many growlers don't hold it long with screw caps- but that they are not built to withstand increasing pressure from priming/carbonation. You'll find at least several threads on here and at the AHA website with stories of growlers exploding when people tried to prime and carbonate in them.

When I bottle, I often include a growler or two in the mix. I don't have that exact one, but I have used my Stanley growler without a problem. I've got a couple with Grolsch type lids which work well and then screw-on lids where I have bought better plastic tops than the metal ones with cardboard. You just have to be careful pouring because of the sediment, you don't always pour it all out at once. They make for easy transport to share with friends.View attachment 681516
How far up do you fill the 2 liter growlers when you condition in them? To the bottom of the finger hole?

I wasn't actually referring to their ability to hold pressure- and many growlers don't hold it long with screw caps- but that they are not built to withstand increasing pressure from priming/carbonation. You'll find at least several threads on here and at the AHA website with stories of growlers exploding when people tried to prime and carbonate in them.

In this case, It appears that the OP is using a SS growler.

Back