Bottling Fruit Beer - Possible Explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozwald

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just bottled a batch of blackberry wheat. I have the bottles in the garage becuase I heard that fruit beers can have a secondary fermentation in the bottles causing them to explode. My garage is only 50 degrees, I'd like them in a warmer area but don't want the mess.

I let this batch ferment for 3 weeks until the gravity stabilized so I'm hoping it's done.

Has anyone had a problem with a warm conditioning area causing a second fermentation?

Did you add the fruit, let it stabilize and then bottle? If so, you're okay.

The beer will never carb up at 50 degrees.

If the beer was finished fermenting, and you added the correct amount of priming sugar, you won't have bottle bombs. But if you don't warm the beer to at least the mid 60s, you'll have flat beer.

I just bottled a batch of blackberry wheat. I have the bottles in the garage becuase I heard that fruit beers can have a secondary fermentation in the bottles causing them to explode. My garage is only 50 degrees, I'd like them in a warmer area but don't want the mess.

I let this batch ferment for 3 weeks until the gravity stabilized so I'm hoping it's done.

Has anyone had a problem with a warm conditioning area causing a second fermentation?

your secondary ferm happened in the secondary when you added the fruit. like others have said as long as gravity was stable after adding the fruit and correct priming sugar was added youll be fine.

Get them up to room temp to carb...ale yeast wont carb at the temp.

Back