Bottling From The Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontreren

Gluten Free Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just recently learned that I could bottle from a keg. I've got everything I need and experimented a little. I know I have to lower the CO2 pressure. So now I'm looking for additional tips/tricks/knowledge/information on "how to". I want to minimize waste, overflow, and get the bottles filled w/ liquid. When doing this do you use something sanitary under the bottles to "trap" the overflow and have drinkable excess? Actually anything you can tell me is both welcome and appreciated ... (caviat: as long as you aren't leading me astray so you get a good laugh later :D)

As far as the sanitary vessel I normally use a 1/2 gallon pitcher starsan'd up, put the bottle in it and fill, I don't get much over flow though so there isn't much to drink.

I had zero overflow. If you're paying close attention to filling you shouldn't need anything but a towel to catch a drip or two.

How well does this work? I wonder if this is a solution to bottling. I live in a small city apartment and cannot fit a kegerator anywhere, I could store a 5 gallon keg and CO2 container.

Do you think I could jut fill a growler from the keg and then give it an ice bath when ready to drink?

It works great if the beer and bottles are already cold. It is more a solution to traveling with your beer if you keg.

Right. Warm beer coming out of the keg tends to be very foamy and wouldn't be a great way to bottle. One of the keys is to have the beer (and the bottles) cold, and dispense at a very low pressure to fill the bottles.

Back