Bottling from primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluedog

Reaction score
I've decided to stop using a secondary fermenter, like I've read so many of you have, my question is, my primary fermenters are 6.5 gal. bottling buckets, so when I go to bottle, will using the spigot get sediment in my bottles or should I stick with the racking cane?

Even if you are using a single fermentation, you would want to transfer to a bottling bucket for bottling. You wouldn't want to ferment in the bottling bucket.

I just bottled my first batch yesterday. My racking cane was actually plunged into the sediment. I got very little sediment thanks to the design of the cane....

Hex makes a great point....don't put the cart before the horse..

Even if you are using a single fermentation, you would want to transfer to a bottling bucket for bottling. You wouldn't want to ferment in the bottling bucket.

Why not use a bottling bucket for a pimary? To check gravity I don't have to remove the lid.

You can do what you want. A bottling bucket will mix the priming sugar and it will reduce the amount of sediment you risk getting into your bottles. If you wish to risk of consuming gobs of sediment, then the primary is the way to go.

Why not use a bottling bucket for a pimary? To check gravity I don't have to remove the lid.

I get so much trub that the spigot is full of yeast sediment. I had one spigot leak one time, so that ruin my ideas of fermenting in it.

I think it's sanitary to just sanitize a turkey baster remove the top and take out what I need, replacing the top.

Back