bottling from primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeM

Reaction score
I am planning on Brewing an American Ale (extract with grains). Normally, I transfer the beer to a bottling bucket from the secondary fermenter. My last beer was terrible (oxidation?, contamination? bad recipie?) but the 3 previous ones were decent. Anyway, I am planning on mixing it up a little and bottling right from the primary with carb tabs. I am going to use my cool new fermtech auto siphon, wiht a siphon saver tip. I have never used this before for this purpose. Does the siphon tip need to be above the bottom of the fermenter (off the trub) or can I have it sit on the bottom? I don't mind loosing a little beer if it keeps the trub out of the bottles. Also would a racking tube holder hold the siphon in place if it needs to be elevated above the trub.
Thanks,
Mike

The end plug, in my experience, keeps *some* of the gunk out, not all of it. You'll need to see how deep your trub is before you can determine if you need to hold it off the bottom or not.

I know this isn't your question, but I don't understand why you are going through this trouble - if you rack your beer gently to the bottling bucket, your beer will not be oxidized. In any case, good luck!

Jim,
The reason that I was considering the above approach was that I listened to a podcast where they talked about overhandling the beer leading to oxidation. After more thought I am going to use the bottling bucket. Carb tabs seem like too much work and I like the idea of sanitizing the corn sugar by boiling it. Putting carb tabs in that have not been sanitiazed by boiling (because its not possible) makes me nervous. My problem is that I am spending too much time reading and listening to podcasts and not enough time brewing:)
Thanks for the info,
Mike

Back