Bottling from primary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letsbrew

Reaction score
Hello to everyone!

I want to do an experiment, i have readed on other post someone did it.

They said yo have to add the priming sugar to the fermenter stir it with a sanitized larger spoon and let it rest for 30min to 1 hour, to allow the sugar get all the beer and have a consistent carbonation in your bottles.

But i have the idea of addin a hose to the funel to star to add the priming from the bottom (dont touch cake yeast) and adding priming from the bottom to the top of the beer ( i gues the priming will mix better and faster and i guess i wont add oxygen too) also i dont mind to give a stir with the spoon and let it rest 30mi or 1 hour.

Also i came up with the idea to add the priming to the fermenter and racking to a secondary 9this way the priming will mix even more and better just because of racking) and put a cap to prevent some airbone to get the beer while doing this will allow me to clean once again my autosiphon (with PBW or Oxiclean, rinse, plus Starsan) once its clean and santize add sanitized filler to the autosiphon (it works i have made a test with water) and start to filling my bottles.

I want to make this experiment just to see what happens and for me has de benefit of not dealing with plastic invisible scratches and also due to room space i brew just 1 gal batches( and also i want to have diversity of plenty styles hehehe and i dont mind to trough away the left dry yeast cos i use 1 to 4 grams of yeast from ordinary bitter to barley wine depends od the style)

Could this work? maybe just by doing it:D

difusion i see! thats nice! but if u wait some hours doesnt the fermentation start?

Rack it to a dedicated bottling bucket with a spigot and you won't have to worry about it....The problem with bottling from a primary or secondary instead of using a bottling bucket, is that since you have patiently gone and let your beer settle and clear, in order to mix the priming solution and beer effectively, you would have to stir it in the carboy which would a) kick up all that nice sediment you have patiently let fall, b) possibly oxydize the beer.

It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

what about instead of using a plastic bucket to mix the priming, use a glass carboy? put the priming in the glass carboy and rack the beer from primary? for example i put the filler to the autosiphon (my bro autosiphon the beer and i control the filler) we made this with water and it works you can fill bottles very well. I want to make this to dont deal with invisible plastic scratches. After racking of course i will have to clean and sanitize once again the autosiphon to fill the bottles

Why don't you just go to the hardware store and make a bottling bucket? You can find everything you need, including a spigot there.

With my bottling bucket and my dip tube, I leave no more than about 3 ounces behind, which means I can get about 52 to 54 bottles per 5 gallon batch.

Go to a hardware store and get a translucent or white bucket...but look for one where the 5 gallon mark falls way below the top of the bucket. Usually it will say 5 gallons at 3rd band from the top. (oh get the lid too....I totally regret not getting it when I did.)

Then get a spigot and make a dedicated bottling bucket. It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

Mine is the translucent Leaktite brand 5 gallon container with the gallon and liter markings from Homedepot.

61GTWpzk9ML._SL500_AA280_.gif

Here's a pic of mine from my bottling thread.

bottling_wand.jpg

One of my dip tubes and what gets left behind.

dip2.jpg

You'll find a ton of good info here to make bottling easier.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

^^^, get a bottling bucket. It helps immensely.

Revvy, I like that little elbow you added to the inside of the bucket to lower the pickup point. I've always tried to tip the bucket, but that looks much better. Can you give some more details on that? Is that just a piece of bent soft copper, size?

+1 for bucket.

Much easier and you can stir in the sugar solution. I set up my bottling wand on the spigot like the picture in the previous post. I would never have the patience to add something to each bottle....

^^^, get a bottling bucket. It helps immensely.

Revvy, I like that little elbow you added to the inside of the bucket to lower the pickup point. I've always tried to tip the bucket, but that looks much better. Can you give some more details on that? Is that just a piece of bent soft copper, size?

It's all described in the bottling thread I linked...

Kegging will solve your problem too. Primary > keg > co2 > glass. :rockin:

Just for once it would be great if someone DIDN'T make this turgid joke every time someone has a bottling question...... It's not funny, and it really doesn't help. Most folks on this forum have already heard about this thing called a "keg" and they don't need nor necessarily care to be "converted." :rolleyes:

why don't they make bottling wands that fit right into the valve in a bottling bucket? i have a 3 inch piece of tubing that holds the 2 together, but would be much nicer if it worked like a solid piece of plastic.. just ranting here :confused:

If I was going to go straight from fermenter I would either use Coopers Drops (which I've done) or put the bottles on my scale and add a measured amount of priming solution into each bottle (which I have not done because I still have a load of Coopers). I only bottle a few a year so it is my preferred method.

If I was going to go straight from fermenter I would either use Coopers Drops (which I've done)

If your not going to bulk prime, this is the easiest method. BUT many folks who use it report that they seem to take longer than bulkpriming with sugars, and tend to leave more bottle sediment as well.

why don't they make bottling wands that fit right into the valve in a bottling bucket? i have a 3 inch piece of tubing that holds the 2 together, but would be much nicer if it worked like a solid piece of plastic.. just ranting here :confused:

Mine does! So it just hangs over the edge of the counter and I lift the bottles up to it...

A bit of a leak - but not bad. Lss mess than tubing used to be.

i do have a plastic bucket with its spigot i have bottled many batches using that techinque but, since im just brewing 3.2 liter of final beer (i go for the mini batch option, due to room space and diversity of styles) so i was thinking ummm maybe i can do it another way.

But i will try to give a chance the idea i have and i will try to record a video from what i will do to share.

Kegging at this point for me isnt good (i need more room,more equipment too)

Drop sugar could be a good solution (despite carbs levels and sediment but i could live with that ... perhaps....)

what about instead of using a plastic bucket to mix the priming, use a glass carboy? put the priming in the glass carboy and rack the beer from primary? for example i put the filler to the autosiphon (my bro autosiphon the beer and i control the filler) we made this with water and it works you can fill bottles very well. I want to make this to dont deal with invisible plastic scratches. After racking of course i will have to clean and sanitize once again the autosiphon to fill the bottles

Sure, this will work and serve the same purpose as a bottling bucket. Pour your sanitized priming sugar into the carboy while you're racking, and it will blend well all by itself. It's easier to deal with a bucket than a carboy for bottling.

But why would you think you'd need to clean and sanitize the autosiphon between racking to your bottling carboy and then siphoning to the bottles? What's going to contaminate it in that time period?

Well my idea was to wait some time to give a chanse to mix better the priming and during that time (around 30min) the autosiphon could get some airbone bacteria because it was going to be wet because of beer (wet from the racking) but the other way could be as you said. Bottling right after tranfer the beer to the carboy, this way the autosiphon would go directly to the bottling carboy, im going to bottle now :D

I did it! yesterday i couldnt record a vid my brewing room is very small and the objetive for recording was small, but honestly dont do it! hahaha it was harder to siphon the beer even with my bro helping this due to the heavier body of a robust porter (the test we tried with just water and it worked at the first trying ) we could bottled the beer but it took me more time because that issue. This time we learnt by experimenting by ourself he any way cheers!

Back