Bottling from keg failures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigdogMark

Reaction score
I occasionally bottle my brew after it has been carbed in the keg for friends and road trips. I had always had good luck until my last effort. I bottled two cases of brew for my son. He has made it through one case so far and found four bottles with no carb, and two with chipped glass on the outside top of the bottles when the cap was removed. That is a 25% failure rate, a good bit higher than I can accept. I use a Red Baron capper.

Am I having a problem getting the cap and capper squared up on top of the bottle, or is it something else? Would I have more consistent results with a bench capper? The Red Baron bothers me a bit as there is no definite stop to the clamping process.

I use the cheap wing capper that came with my original kit. I've had a couple bottles break while I was capping but I've never lost carbonation because of it.

Back