Bottling from a keg??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tradermgp

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I decided to enter into a homebrewing competition. The tasting date is October 2nd, but the beer drop off date is September 25th. Right now I have some milk stout in bottles that were bottled about 2 weeks ago using priming sugar. I also have an American Light that I just put into a keg yesterday. Finally I have a Chocolate Milk stout that I just put into the fermenter tonight. I'm hoping to submit samples of each of these into the competition as well as one more brew.

But I have no idea what my best way to properly prepare the bottles for the judges!? They require 2 unmarked bottles of beer for each entry. Can I bottle from my keg a couple days before drop off day and have it sitting in the bottle waiting to be judged and not go flat? The bottles of milk stout I have now... will they last until competition day? What should I do with the chocolate Milk Stout.... I am so lost here. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Also, my milk stout has a little bit of sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Will this effect my score?

Cheers- :mug:

I don't know how sediment will effect your score so I will leave that to someone else. As for bottling from keg you should be able to go follow this thread with good success:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24678

You will need a smaller stopper than they recommended but they should have them at your LHBS for next to nothing. I have used this to fill carboys quite often (and bottled a couple of times) and those have held up for a day or two before opening. I would imagine the carbonation should stay stable enough if you cap quickly and do it within a few days of the competition.

Good luck with the competition! Come back and let us know how it goes.

I had a big stout I bottled from the keg. I didn't use any priming sugar or bottling bucket. It was a gallon recipe I racked to a 2.5 gallon keg. After it conditioned in the keg for 2 weeks, I bottled it and put it away.

It was still carbed after 18 months.

Back