Bottling from a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparty78

Reaction score
My buddy asked to brew a couple batches for his wedding, I'm not sure I have enough time to carbonate in bottles. Is it possible to force carbonate in a keg and then bottle?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yes you can do that I'd probably pick up a bottling gun or you can make one out of tubing - if you do a search you will find it. Why not just serve kegs?

When you transfer the beer from the keg make sure the keg is carbonated and ice cold (34°F) and your bottles are frozen. This prevents foaming. It helps having another person cap them immediately.

When you transfer the beer from the keg make sure the keg is carbonated and ice cold (34°F) and your bottles are frozen. This prevents foaming. It helps having another person cap them immediately.

This is the best advice (after getting a beer gun or making one). I was trying to fill growlers with a homemade beer gun and doing everything to prevent 1/2 a growler of foam. I even turned my pressure down to 3 PSI, bled the kegs and still had issues. Then I took clean growlers, dunked them into star san, put them in the freezer upside down and filled frozen growlers (they're slippery so be careful). Any issues I have with foam are now entirely due to forgetting to bleed the keg, which I can fix.

Make sure your buddy comes over to help brew and help bottle. ;)

Back