bottling disaster last night..... need some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikolas_WestMI

Reaction score
Soooo. Got all set up to bottle last night. after about 10 bottles I noticed that the caps were not on tight enough. IE I could twist them with a rag. It was all of them. Tried a few more, same thing. I saved about 3 out of 15. So.... LHBS is closed and they are the only caps I had.

Now I have a bucket of ready to bottle beer. I used brewers best priming sugar.

Can I bottle this today without any more priming sugar? Or should I let it sit for a week and re-prime it then bottle? Or is it all a lost cause?

Thanks!

How many volumes are you priming too? If you are low I would add a .25-.5 volume to hedge my bet. But, it will probably take a bit of time for the yeast to get active so you will likely be fine.

If you are ready to bottle right now then bottle right now. I'll take your word for it that your caps were the problem but it isn't a problem I have seen before. These caps are only crimped on with enough force to create a seal and so long as they don't leak then twisting isn't going to be very telling of proper capping. I will check one of my bottles when I get home tonight as I have never tried to twist a conventional cap.

At work now but will stop and get caps on the way home.

I thinking it was them because none of my last batch could be twisted, brand new two handed capper, and even tried the single handed press type. Both resulted in twisting caps.

It will be a low carb. I also threw an airlock on and had no activity this morning.

What kind of bottles are they? I've never had a cap twist on standard 12 or 22 oz bottles. Maybe it's the capping tool?

Just went to the closet and pulled out a few bottles. None of them spun. These were Brewer's Best "B logo" caps on Sierra Nevada stubby bottles. I use the red molded capper that comes in Northern Brewer kits.

I don't understand why you're asking about priming sugar though. Bottling a few off should affect your priming sugar levels. What am I missing?

they are the brewers best caps and a brand new capper. and they are regular old bottles. most of which I used on my last batch and were just fine.

not sure if I should just let it sit for a week and put in new sugar and bottle or just bottle it

Oh. Gotcha.

I figured you would have thrown it in the fridge. But I forget that not everybody has space for that.

Let it ferment back out before trying to re-prime.

If you took the FG before dumping in the sugar, you can calculate what the new FG will be. Might help you bottle a few days sooner if you can know what gravity it'll be done at.

Latest posts

Back