Bottling/Capping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craft_beer_fan

Reaction score
Hi there fellow home brewers! I have a quick question.....

I am fairly new to home brewing. I have done 4 all grain batches, 4 partial mash batches, and roughly 6 extract batches. For some reason I never gave capping bottles much thought until today when I bottled my all grain Lagunitas IPA clone. For all the batches of beer I have done I have tipped the bottle over after capping to make sure there are no leaks and that I have a good seal. However, for some reason it occurred to me that I may be oxidizing my beers in doing this. Since there is only about an inch of head-space in the bottle, is this enough oxygen for me to worry about if I tip my bottle over and back that I could actually be oxidizing my beers? I am careful with everything from sanitizing to bottling and it would be a real shame if I was affecting my brew negatively by this last and final step.

Please advise and thank you in advance!

Cheers! :)

I dont think you need to worry too much. The O2 does not go anywhere when it is done carbing anyway so if that would oxygenate it so would tipping the bottle after carbonation.

going through the bottling bucket and wand is going to knock some CO2 out of suspension and that will force some oxygen out of the bottle headspace.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Latest posts

Back