Bottling beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insnekamkze86

Reaction score
hello there i have a question should i wait till 4 weeks then bottle my beer or bottle it now? Its a coopers irish stout kit i added raw sugar dark dry malt and black treacle. The og was 1.073 im pretty sure its done since there is no activity in the air lock and the last reading i did was at 1.022 i know the airlock isn't a way to determine if a batch is done thats what a hydrometer is for.

My original plan was two weeks in the primary then two weeks in the secondary then 1 to 2 weeks in the bottle. Since my secondary had debris in that i couldn't get out i kept me beer in the primary its now going on three weeks being in there come friday. Should i wait another week then transfer it to bottle or should i bottle it now? Also i scorched the malt some what it might have a burnt taste to it which is fine by me.

Is it typical when brewing a stout that you can have it done in few weeks since they ferment pretty quickly, i heard that from someone just was seeing if that was true or not.

Stouts generally take a while to age and yours is a big stout. Not only would I leave it 4 to 6 weeks in primary but I would leave it equally as long in a secondary to bulk age. Your taste buds will thank you.

I've had good luck just leaving most of my beers in the primary for the whole time. I know a lot of people like to get it off the yeast cake for fear of autolysis, but I've always had good results save for one IPA that tasted very soapy. Other than that, the long primary has produced some awesome beers for me and I don't have to risk aeration/infection with a second vessel. Plus, I'm lazy so it works out perfectly. (Sorry, I didn't see the O.G. in your OP. I completely agree you need to wait on that one. Remember, you can let a beer sit in the primary for a month with no problems at all. Err on the side of caution.)

would it be fine if i left it in the primary for 4 weeks then bottle it for two weeks. Im probably not going to us my secondary this time so thats why im asking.

would it be fine if i left it in the primary for 4 weeks then bottle it for two weeks. Im probably not going to us my secondary this time so thats why im asking.

Yes. Not using a secondary is fine. I try to use it as much as I can. On a stout since it's dark no worries, I'd say in leaving it for 4 to 6 six weeks in primary. Then bottle once it's bottled you can taste one every week till it right. It will take at least 3 weeks on that stout in bottle to be right on carb, but will get better in taste as time rolls own to say 4 to 6 weeks in bottle.

Hope that helps.

i know the secondary is mostly only used as a cleaning tank for some alochols but does it effect tast quality mucj from it going from the primary to secondary since its being taken off of the yeast cells at the bottom of the fermentor?

I've had 1.035 stouts ready to serve in 14 days (from brew day) in bottles. You really need the right water to get a stout smoothed out that fast. Wrong water profile, imbalanced recipes and emistakes make them take longer.

i used spring water for brewing my stout and it looks like a porter thats what it looked like the last time i did a reading but it tasted good.

i know the secondary is mostly only used as a cleaning tank for some alochols but does it effect tast quality mucj from it going from the primary to secondary since its being taken off of the yeast cells at the bottom of the fermentor?

Not sure but I enjoyed all my secondaried beers very much......I had a primary only beer taste like well piss.........then I realize that it tastes like it's suppost to since the orginal beer that I clone states like piss to me now....:rockin: will not reveal the beer but it's not BMC

my very first batch was a only primary beer but it tasted like piss because i added table sugar and it ended up tasting like a railbender which tastes like piss. I beleive this batch will be alot better because i only added things to make the batch better such as malts and good fermentable sugars. i was curisous because i always heard that a beer tastes better it has been racked to a secondary fermenter or a cleaning tank.

Back