Bottling 16 Month Mead - Question About Process and Metabisulfite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Docod44

Reaction score
I fermented some mead-must back in March 2021 (original post here) and I tasted it this past weekend for the first time in a while and it is tasting really great! It's at a point that I feel I can bottle it. I am familiar with packaging homebrewed beer but I have never bottled mead before. I have two gallons of fermented product in secondary at the moment and I want to package it in as few bottles as possible. I have 750mL and 1.5L grolsch-top bottles that I have used to carbonate and store beer for upwards of six months in the past. I also have empty wine bottles but don't have the means to cork them, except for plastic stops that I use to store whisky: IMG_1491.jpg

Would the grolsch-top bottles or wine bottles with these plastic stops be a viable way to bottle the mead? Should I add potassium metabisulfite to the batch for bottling?

Back