Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
Okay...why the heck is it that most breweries bottle their beers in 12oz bottle, when an actual pint is 16oz? All my barware is 16oz or larger, so why the heck wont these brewers pony up another 4oz and sell larger bottles? I mean pints are perfect sizes, so what the heck?

Yeah, I know, we brew our own and can pour what we want...but this always made me wonder...

Maybe they do it so that the consumer will buy more to keep filling his pint glass. FWIW, the UK pint glass holds 20 oz., leaving behind 4 oz. What's up with that?

'Course if you buy your beer in 40 oz. bottles, you don't have that problem.:)

A UK pint is bigger then US pint :D 20 and 16 being the relative sizes.

Also our gallon is bigger - ya bunch of light weights!!!

dibby33 said:
A UK pint is bigger then US pint :D 20 and 16 being the relative sizes.

Also our gallon is bigger - ya bunch of light weights!!!

Well I want UK pints damn it!

Good question. I'm not finding a whole lot on it, but I bet mass production has something to do with it! :mad:

:D

Seriously tho, wasn't Coke in 8 or 10 ounce bottles originally, then got upsized? I remember getting sixers of 16 ounce bottles as a kid. Then the 2 liter came along and it seemed like all that was left was the 12 ounce cans and bottles. Now you have 1 liters, 20 ounce, 7 ounce cans again...

Sorry, :off:

For the record, I'd just like to make my 200 gallon limit some day. :mug:

Ize

Tony said:
Well I want UK pints damn it!

Means you drink less pints so you are actually drinking less which is better for you. Confused and hungover logic.

:drunk:

P.S.

I have drank three cartons of beer since wednesday
3 * 24 * 375ml = 27000ml
Average of 9.5 UK pints or 11.41 US pints a day. Me no feel very well :(

dibby33 said:
:drunk:

P.S.

I have drank three cartons of beer since wednesday
3 * 24 * 375ml = 27000ml
Average of 9.5 UK pints or 11.41 US pints a day. Me no feel very well :(

Jesus, man! Are you a native Tasmanian or did you immigrate from Ireland? You gotta buy bigger bottles and cut the per-serving consumption back! Think of your poor liver, lad!

Ize said:
Good question. I'm not finding a whole lot on it, but I bet mass production has something to do with it! :mad:

:D

Seriously tho, wasn't Coke in 8 or 10 ounce bottles originally, then got upsized? I remember getting sixers of 16 ounce bottles as a kid. Then the 2 liter came along and it seemed like all that was left was the 12 ounce cans and bottles. Now you have 1 liters, 20 ounce, 7 ounce cans again...

Sorry, :off:

For the record, I'd just like to make my 200 gallon limit some day. :mug:

Ize

Ize gets a cigar . . .
Coke used to come in 8ozl bottles then Pepsi trying to make it into the business sold their soda for the same price but double the amount leading to the 16oz bottles . . . over the years for shipping purposes it got reduced down to 12oz.

There was a show on Discovery that touched on it a while back is the only reason I know, think it may have been a episode of Modern Marvels

Pumbaa said:
Ize gets a cigar . . .
Coke used to come in 8ozl bottles then Pepsi trying to make it into the business sold their soda for the same price but double the amount leading to the 16oz bottles . . . over the years for shipping purposes it got reduced down to 12oz.

There was a show on Discovery that touched on it a while back is the only reason I know, think it may have been a episode of Modern Marvels

Cuban? ;)

Ding! You jogged my memory on that Pumbaa. I totally forgot the whole Cola Wars thing History had on. I'll have to watch it a little closer next time. ('Cause you know they're gonna show it again
and again
and again
and again...)

Ize

sudsmonkey said:
Jesus, man! Are you a native Tasmanian or did you immigrate from Ireland? You gotta buy bigger bottles and cut the per-serving consumption back! Think of your poor liver, lad!

Neither, pure Scots :D

My liver knows what it is doing - has been doing this for generations. Natural selection has seen to this. I am having the next four days off the beers now though.

Fingers said:
Geez, it'll take that long constantly brewing just to keep pace with consumption. :tank:
this is a problem. I am stepping up production this week (not drinking so will have plently of spare time!). Picking up bottles and some barrels on Wednesday after putting in a request on www.freecycle.com.
Then it is walkers IPA and something else. My beastII is going to get bottled this week. By Friday I want both primarys emptied / bottled and filled back up again. I also have 90 375ml crown top bottles which have to be cleaned and the labels removed, 50 grolsch bottles (wed night pickup:)) to be cleaned up and serveral barrels to be cleaned. First though I have to tidy my cellar - will post a photo later, it is in a very scary way after the previous four days :eek:
I still have 6 cartons of HB left so that should do me until the IPA is ready. My first use of grains!

dibby33 said:
Neither, pure Scots :D

My liver knows what it is doing - has been doing this for generations. Natural selection has seen to this. I am having the next four days off the beers now though.

Suds and dibby,
Howdy, yawl dern ole Scotsmen,
'Knife' here and its 2:30 in the morning here in Texas.
"My liver knows what its doing"
was the first thing I saw as I came back to the office here,
while letting my bottles sanitize.
I'm bottling the first of three batches of
{'Mein Acht Pfund Hammerbier'}
I am laughing my asss of at that.
Sounds like a bit of wisdom my grandfather would have said.

Very Zen.

J. Knife

Back