Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momodig

Reaction score
I've gathered some empties from some of my friends.... but unfortunately most of the empty's have mold in the bottem... IE most people who do not not brew their own beer... just drink the comercial beer and not clean...

Should I just throw these bottles out? Or should I try to remove the mold?

my kit came with a one-step sanitizer and a bag of purple power (chlorinated cleaner)--Chorinated Trisodium Phosphate....

Still get the oxiclean?

Oxiclean is a white powdered sodium percarbonate based cleaner. It eats organic material very well, and in most cases (if not all) it obviates the need for scrubbing.

There is a similar product at homebrew shops called PBW that isn't exactly the same. Some people think one is better than the other. PBW is certainly more expensive.

I use Oxiclean Free which has no added colors or perfumes. I buy it in tubs at Target. $7 for 3lbs or something like that. A couple scoops in a giant tub with 60 bottles and just let em soak - the hard part is making sure all the bottles are full of liquid and not floating about. The oxi does all the scrubbing and bubbling for you. After that, rinse em off and sanitize and your ready to go. If you use StarSan, it does a really good job (instantly) of removing the final bit of oxi during rinsing.

See this thread for praise: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/oxyclean-amazing-130316/

I have never really used oxyclean until last night. Taking what I have read from these boards I took our gross dirty garbage can caked with whatever you want to imagine. I soaked in in oxyclean overnight and it was super clean the next morning. No scrubbing just soaking and rinse. It was a good way to prove the effectiveness to myself and I'll use it next time for cleaning my carboy.

Back