Bottles of Beer Lay on side in Fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
With the yeast and all I would suspect it is not a good idea to have bottle conditioned beer lay on its side in the fridge but thought I'd ask. Sometimes there just isn't enough room for me to have them standing up... Am I correct?

I guess the choice is ours; if you want to get a little extra swig of yeast in the mouth I'd suspect.

I'm currently sitting in the garage brewing some Oatmeal Cream Stout with my notebook and wireless internet access. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing.... This is the 1st time I've used Malto Dextrine and after 15 minutes of the boil I still have white "chunks" of the stuff floating around. Hope this stuff disolves away!!

Like bready looking chunks? We get that a lot but it stays in the kettle with the hops. I don't know what it is but I figure it's probably just hot protein break.

Janx said:
Like bready looking chunks? We get that a lot but it stays in the kettle with the hops. I don't know what it is but I figure it's probably just hot protein break.

Yep, but it did dissolve away. Popping 2-3 times a second in the primary and making the room smell oh so nice. ;)

I would not worry about laying them to make them cold, once refriderated they are no longer conditioning anymore. I try to stand them up so that I can see how clear the beer is when poured out, and the yeast help reduce hangovers so its pretty good to drink up the vitamin B

it could be similar to shaking the bottle up before you open in, or when you open it and pour it very rapidly into the glass because you've stirred up the sediment and that seems to jack up the fizz/foam. i think that's what he's getting at ;)

Correct. And I know too, because I've been drinking HW since Feb 1975!

You cannot lay a German Hefe Weizen on it's side and expect it to pour when you open it. It's one of the reasons Germans do not drink out of bottles.

But, you young whipper-snappers will try it anyway. And I want you to, just to prove me wrong. :D :D

PS Let me know how much beer you lose.

Oh, yeah, one of the little "tricks" we used to play on each other in the bar was to take your beer bottle and tap the bottom of it onto someone elses top (of their bottle) as it was sittting on the bar...this caused gushing also. Of course, you have to do it to a freshly opened bottle for the full effect.

homebrewer_99 said:
Oh, yeah, one of the little "tricks" we used to play on each other in the bar was to take your beer bottle and tap the bottom of it onto someone elses top (of their bottle) as it was sittting on the bar...this caused gushing also. Of course, you have to do it to a freshly opened bottle for the full effect.

Heh....reminds of the time this last summer when me, my guitar player, and my drummer went out to this club/bar in Providence. We camped out and consumed bucketas of Rolling Rock all night. For $9 a bucket, you can't go wrong. Point being, all it takes is for one person to start that bottle tap thing, and all hell breaks loose. Heh....end up seeing 3 guys huddled in the corner, hands over the top of their bottles, with real sour faces....quote from the night: <CLINK> "Oh....you A$$$hole!!!!!!!!!" :D

homebrewer_99 said:

That's a heck of a funny trick. We used to do that a bunch in college. Bottle goes off like Vesuvius!

I didn't know that about the gushing caused by yeast mixing. Go figure.

Oh yea, I remember that little smack the bottle thing. Was interesting at first but afterwards my friends and I would smack someone upside the head stating "Alcohol Abuse!" I.e. wasting beer... :mad:

worst is when some knucklehead tries to do that and chips yer bottle up good, then you gots two choices... bottle him with what's left of yer drink, or try and drink it and no cut yerself... ;)

i don't go to the bar too often these days. my better half, benefactor, and ma to our child don't take too kindly to the drunken bar crawling i'm genetically selected twards. i'm perhaps a pinnacle of backward evolution... and the product, at times of too many western movies during my formative years... :eek:

however, there is a good brewpub here, mad anthony brewery, that makes their own swill, and mighty tasty it is. plus the hippie atmosphere is rather nice and they serve good food, and thus we are permitted to dine/drink there :)

Back in the day, a Buffalo bar called Mulligan's Brick Bar (it had a brick floor) there were some drunken idiots doing the bottle smack thing to each other. They used to sell Rolling Rock or O.V. by the case (in those dinky 7-oz bottles), so the general thought was that when you had 24 of them, there was plenty of brew to spill. So eventually, their little game turned in to "shake the bottle and douse your friend like you just won the World Series". Since we were standing close by, and the bar is kind of dark, we were sustaining collateral damage, especially when one of those dorks kept hiding behind us in hopes that his buddies wouldn't shoot innocent bystanders to hit his target. His buddies weren't squeamish about that, although they did try at least a little to avoid us. In short order, it became apparent that we'd have to either kick thier asses or join in. We looked at each other, all too skinny or too chubby, and we looked at them - rugby players at a guess. So we started spraying them with our beer. Didn't take too long before half the bar was involved in this mess. The bouncers sort of looked on, shaking their heads. Usually all they have to do is toss people because of another fine tradition of smashing the empty bottles on the brick floor.

homebrewer_99 said:
Laying beer down with yeast residue in the bottle is not a good idea. When you stand them up and remove the cap you will get gushing :( because the beer and sediment will mix.

I lay my beer bottles down all the time and the yeast falls to the side and I never get gushing. It might be because I let them sit that way for a couple of weeks and the yeast forms a nice "hard" cake on the side. But, I've never got "gushing".

Back