bottleing in used 40 oz bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pearljammin89

Reaction score
I have a friend who bottles his beer in used 40 oz bottles. He isn;t the most conventional brewer but it seems to work with the screw tops, wondering if anyone else has tried/done this?

hmm.... I haven't used 40 oz bottles but I've used large bottles and it worked fine. I'm still very new to this but I haven't had any problems.

I recently had a Sierra Nevada that is bottle conditioned (there is even yeast on the bottom) and it was in a pretty large bottle.

Either way, I don't think it's an issue. But, like I said, I'm still new.

as long as they seal fine it will work, the only thing is that they are clear so keep them out of the light, plus you have to drink the malt liquor that is in them initially:cross:

true but being a broke college student I have gotten pretty good at choking them down when the money stream is low

I've done this with success.

Things to be noted:
-it's not as carbonated as it would be in a 12oz bottle
-should let it condition an additional week or two
-the layer of yeast on the bottom gets agitated quite a bit and makes you have to leave more beer in the bottle than usual. Since this does agitate the yeast cake on the bottom of the bottle, even after your second pour, it'll be in the beer. I'd suggest pouring one, refrigerating, then continuing. The third pour is the most brutal lol

Okay you guys just made my day my lil bro said that him and his buds used to bottle in 40's and I just thought that they were fine with drinking flat beer when drunk. This now seems like a good idea for me as I have a very erratic stream of income and what ever beer gets done gets bottled or sits waiting for the 1 keg (which is normally the case as bottling is a hassle in a small apt), but if I can use all the empty OE bottles that me and my other friends get rid of this could make my bottling day less of a chore (don't judge I am still in college so OE makes a great study beer, also I live in a low income neighborhood so OE and Steel Reserve is the primary consumable). Now the problem I will have to remember to remedy is to not ditch the cap when I get out of the bodega on my walk to my place or where ever I am going.

I have a friend who bottles his beer in used 40 oz bottles. He isn;t the most conventional brewer but it seems to work with the screw tops, wondering if anyone else has tried/done this?

Love those unconventional brewers! They break all the brewing rules and yet still somehow turn out great beers. I think you can learn more from them than you can from the so-called experts. LOL!!!

Back