bottled yesterday... today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorian345

Reaction score
today the bottles are all hard, is this too quick for them to be as hard as they are ? im using plastic PET beer bottles

It seems to me my PET bottles didn't harden up that quick. What beer style & how much did you prime to?

it was a Belgian triple from fermbrew 8% and i primed it with 2.5OZ of sugar in about 2OZ of water mixed into the primary

umm...

Taste is not an indicator of completed fermentation. Did you take consecutive gravity readings? If not, for how long did it ferment?

umm...

Taste is not an indicator of completed fermentation. Did you take consecutive gravity readings? If not, for how long did it ferment?

A: "I baked a cake! But the icing melted :("

B: "Did you let it cool?"

A: "It tasted good."

*Facepalm*

o crap? there seems to be a small amount of yeast that settled to the bottom into the grooves of the bottom of the bottle is that ok? i hope they dont explode, is there anyway to reverse this?

o crap? there seems to be a small amount of yeast that settled to the bottom into the grooves of the bottom of the bottle is that ok? i hope they dont explode, is there anyway to reverse this?

That's normal...

I think you're worrying for nothing and allowing everyone else to scare you. Just relax and walk away from your beers for 3 weeks.

They're in plastic so it's highly unlikely that they'd blow if there were anything wrong, which I don't think there is.

Co2 started being generated almost as soon as you added the sugar. The co2 has filled the headspace hence it being hard....But it still has to go into solution...Folks have posted their bottles were hard on day 2 before, hence the answer I posted. Hard bottles don't mean the beer is carbed, nor does it mean at one day that anything is wrong.

You are winding yourself up..

Just...Leave....them....alone....

Go brew another batch of beer to take you mind off this one.

They'll be fine....sediment in the bottom is good. I saw a picture of a PET bottle with a goose egg on it's side, but it didn't explode.

I wouldn't worry too much.

That's normal...

I think you're worrying for nothing and allowing everyone else to scare you. Just relax and walk away from your beers for 3 weeks.

They're in plastic so it's highly unlikely that they'd blow if there were anything wrong, which I don't think there is.

Co2 started being generated almost as soon as you added the sugar. The co2 has filled the headspace hence it being hard....But it still has to go into solution...Folks have posted their bottles were hard on day 2 before, hence the answer I posted. Hard bottles don't mean the beer is carbed, nor does it mean at one day that anything is wrong.

You are winding yourself up..

Just...Leave....them....alone....

Go brew another batch of beer to take you mind off this one.

thank you!! i'll try n stop worrying, was my 1st bottle batch so it would suck after waiting this long for it to be all wrong :eek:

i'll leave alone and wait! lol thanks again

So, pouring your priming solution into the primary and mixing it up is normal.

Damn! I've been doing it wrong.
I've been wondering how to get that 1/4" of trub at the bottom of each bottle.
:drunk:

I was referring to the yeast that he mentioned in the post before I posted. His latest panic had to do with....You didn't happen to see the post I had quoted? :drunk:

dorian345 said:

To which I said, "That's normal....."

I think you're all over freaking the poor guy out. Remember, he IS using plastic bottles....So even if he did, f it up, which I don't think he did, they can contain a hell of a lot more pressure than glass.

And FYI, although it's not the best way, folks DO add sugar directly to their beer without boiling it...Like in bottles. And a few have dumped pure sugar into their bottling buckets or even fermenters......it's not the best way...but it doesn't mean he's going to have a problem with it. But I wasn't talking about that when I posted what you quoted me on.

I was referring to the yeast that he mentioned in the post before I posted. His latest panic had to do with....You didn't happen to see the post I had quoted? :drunk:

To which I said, "That's normal....."

I think you're all over freaking the poor guy out. Remember, he IS using plastic bottles....So even if he did, f it up, which I don't think he did, they can contain a hell of a lot more pressure than glass.

And FYI, although it's not the best way, folks DO add sugar directly to their beer without boiling it...Like in bottles. And a few have dumped pure sugar into their bottling buckets or even fermenters......it's not the best way...but it doesn't mean he's going to have a problem with it. But I wasn't talking about that when I posted what you quoted me on.

i did boil the sugar and water together before putting it into my primary :mug:

So, pouring your priming solution into the primary and mixing it up is normal.

Damn! I've been doing it wrong.
I've been wondering how to get that 1/4" of trub at the bottom of each bottle.
:drunk:

lol i didnt mix up the whole thing, just enough to get the sugar around very slowly, tried not to disturb all the crap at the bottom

lol i didnt mix up the whole thing, just enough to get the sugar around very slowly, tried not to disturb all the crap at the bottom

In the future, get or make a dedicated bottling bucket. The problem with bottling from a primary or secondary instead of using a bottling bucket, is that since you have patiently gone and let your beer settle and clear, in order to mix the priming solution and beer effectively, you would have to stir it in the carboy which would a) kick up all that nice sediment you have patiently let fall, b) possibly oxydize the beer.

It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

Why don't you just go to the hardware store and make a bottling bucket? You can find everything you need, including a spigot there.

With my bottling bucket and my dip tube, I leave no more than about 3 ounces behind, which means I can get about 52 to 54 bottles per 5 gallon batch.

Go to a hardware store and get a translucent or white bucket...but look for one where the 5 gallon mark falls way below the top of the bucket. Usually it will say 5 gallons at 3rd band from the top. (oh get the lid too....I totally regret not getting it when I did.)

Then get a spigot and make a dedicated bottling bucket. It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

Mine is the translucent Leaktite brand 5 gallon container with the gallon and liter markings from Homedepot.

61GTWpzk9ML._SL500_AA280_.gif

Here's a pic of mine from my bottling thread.

bottling_wand.jpg

One of my dip tubes and what gets left behind.

dip2.jpg

You'll find a ton of good info here to make bottling easier.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

Revvy said:
What do you mean "what do you do?" There's nothing wrong.

You make sure your beer is above 70 and you walk away for a minimum 4 weeks....And you let it carb up.

It takes four weeks for bottles to carb up?

It could take four week to Carb or four months or even four days each beer is different, and all beer styles require different carbonation level. So it comes to a personal preference to what taste good to you.
Back to the op your plastic bottles should be fine. Being a newbie I'm sure your impatient so chill one and drink one in a few days it will help show you what a possible under carbed beer taste like. But if they are good chill some and drink them while you brew more. At the same time I would put some back for a few months to see the difference

Just an update on this thread! i tried one of my beers today after carbing for a week and trying it now, it taste amazing! even though its only been 1 week (3 weeks and a few days total) it taste really good, full body and great taste, im going to leave the other bottles in the fridge to sit for another month and try them again! mmmmmmm and no bottle bombs at all!!!

thanks again for the help guys

cheers

Latest posts

Back