Bottled water still sanitized after opening?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeve007

Reaction score
Hey brewing buddies!

A few weeks ago I bought a 6L bottle of water to top up after my boil to meet my volume target, used about half and the other half has been sitting in the fridge since then, only opened it the one time when adding to my previous batch. Would it still be fine to use now, or is there a chance it could cause some infection after being opened even just the once?

Cheers.

Why do you fear an infection? Do other liquids you keep in your fridge get infected?

If sealed it should be fine to use.

The risk of contamination is small and probably negligible. I wouldn't worry about it.

Work on dialing in and monitoring your volume so you won't need to top up. (Unless you're intentionally doing a partial boil)

Work on dialing in and monitoring your volume so you won't need to top up. (Unless you're intentionally doing a partial boil)
Yep, due to size of pot I have, and not wanting to buy too much more equipment not being where I am long term. My process seems to work okay now, needed just 3L last time and hit both my target volume and OG with that.

Back