Bottled Too Early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jglenn16

Reaction score
I am pretty new to homebrewing and this forum has been a huge help! This is my first post and I'm excited to be a part of the community!

I brewed an Irish Red Ale two weeks ago and bottled it exactly at the two week mark. The OG reading was 1.050 and the FG reading was 1.014. I didn't take another gravity reading since it was fermenting for exactly 14 days, so I assumed it would be ok. Now, I think I may have bottled it too early and I have been reading horror stories of exploding beer bottles. Has anyone brewed a similar style and does the FG reading seem to be ok?

The was fermenting at a constant temp of 70 degrees and it's still fairly hot where I'm at, so it seems like the bottles will be bottle conditioning at about 78-80 degrees. Does this make a difference in whether or not the bottles have a higher chance at exploding? Should I try to store them in a cooler spot?

Thanks in advance!

You're gonna be fine, 1.014 is a very reasonable FG (a pretty good one if you ask me, but of course it depends on style and lots of other factors).

In the future, however, take a few gravity readings, starting at the two week mark perhaps, over a course of 3 days, and make sure gravity remains the same. That way you'd be sure fermentation has ended.

As you gain experience, you'll probably stop doing that (as I have, most of the times), but while you're beginning, I highly recommend you do that.

If you stick them in the fridge, the yeast will go mostly dormant and you'll greatly reduce the risk of bottle bombs. If you were at your FG though, and you stick them in the fridge now, you'll probably end up with flat beer.

It's impossible to know what your FG was going to be, though some good estimates can be made... but without getting a few constant readings over a few days, I don't believe it's possible to know if you were there.

At 70 degrees for two weeks, I'd like to tell you that you'll be fine since the yeast should've done their job at a good speed at that temp... but I also don't want you holding me responsible if they explode, hah. My best guess is that you're probably fine, but what I'd suggest is to keep them somewhere out of the way, in a box or tub of some sort, and possibly with a towel or sheet wrapped around them to help limit any damage and/or mess. Others with more experience will probably be able to chime in with better advice than me though.

You are probably OK. But going by time is risky. You really should take 2 final gravity readings two days apart and if they are the same, fermentation should be done.

You should also look to keeping your fermentation temperature cooler.

I would keep the bottle conditioning lower. Near 70 degrees. I don't think the higher bottle conditioning temperature will cause any problems though. Wait 3 weeks then chill and try a bottle. If it is not fully carbed, wait another week etc.

One problem with yeast is, they don't read a calendar very well. 14 days is probably OK, but whenever you bottle you want to be absolutely sure that the fermentation is done. The usual advice is, if the FG is stable over a three day period, you're good to go.

Lots of things can affect the fermentation time: gravity, temperature, yeast, the overall fermentability of the wort, the phase of the moon, etc etc. If you are in a hurry, and want (need) to be sure, then you need two gravity readings two or three days apart. There are other signs as well: the airlock will stop, the beer will stop churning and settle out, the kraeusen will fall back into the beer. These are good indicators, and you should pay attention to them, but only the hydrometer will give you proof.

As for temperature, 70 seems a little high. If you keep the vessel in a tub of water, and swap frozen bottles in and out, you can keep the temp in the mid-60's range which is probably better. As for conditioning temp, it's less important. Room temperature should be fine. And if you are worried about bombs, put them in a box. Open one after a week; if you have a gusher, then tell us about it. But you are probably fine for now.

Bottle conditioning temp isn't as critical as initial fermentation temp. You go too low,& carbing & conditioning slows or stops,like 65F on down. but conversely,70F+ will not cause off flavors at all. It'll just carb & condition at the "normal" rate of 3-4 weeks. Then at least a week fridge time to give any vhill haze a chance to form & settle out,give better carbonatiion & head. 2 weeks fridge time is needed for this sometimes for darker or bigger beers to carb up. Normal gravity beers will get thicker head & longer lasting carbonation from my observations over time.
Having said all that,with an OG of 1.050.FG will normally be 1.010-1.014. I've gotten a 1.010FG out of 1.05X's several times,but you're within range FG-wise. Just put the bottles in an out of the way spot & cover in boxes with bottles inside trash bags or the like. Ecploding bottles are dangerous,so please be carefull. they can explode with so much as picking them up,if they haven't already.
Now that I've scared the bejesus out of you,RDWHAHB!! :drunk::D:mug:

Latest posts

Back