Bottled Pale Ale over 3 months old

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
user23, don't take any criticism of foodbabe personally. When she first published that there was a long discussion here (maybe I'll try to find it) and it has been well established that most of what she said was false. You can believe her if you want, but understand her name is not very well respected around here because of the many things we know for certain she claims as fact that are simply not true.

While some commercial breweries might use some ingredients, it is not standard at all for commercial (mega or micro) breweries to add this chemical or that. Beer is inherently stable. It is slightly acidic and contains alcohol. That's a pretty rock solid recipe for stability. No reason for brewers to spend money and add complication so that they can pump their beers full of beaver anal glands and anti-freeze.

But yeah, I like brewing my own in part because I know what's in it as well. Nothing wrong with that.

Oh, and welcome to HBT!

In many sense, beer and bred are very similar, you just mix grains with yeast and water, perhaps you can add a little salt and sugar to it, and you can bake kick ass wholesome bred, why on earth would commercial bakers add hundreds of chemicals to their bred?

Don't believe me? go look at the bred section in your local supermarket, read the package of those commercial bred, and see for yourself.

The reason we don't see the chemicals and additives in the beer ingredients labels, according to Lee Janson's book, Brew Chem 101, he states that "commercial brewers are allowed to add, in any combination, over seventy-five chemicals, dyes, and additives to beer without informing the consumer."

Lee Janson is a Ph.D. and author of "Brew Chem 101", also author of "Medical Biochemistry: The Big Picture" published March 9th 2012 by McGraw-Hill Education / Medical. Forget about foodbabe, she is not relevant, we should not tarnish the truths just because this person had written something about it that made people here to believe that she is a fraud, that should not be the blanket reason to justify the false belief that "since foodbabe is a fraud, the commercial beer industry is telling the truth".

In many sense, beer and bred are very similar, you just mix grains with yeast and water, perhaps you can add a little slat and sugar to it, and you can bake kick ass wholesome bred, why on earth would commercial bakers add hundreds of chemicals to their bred?

Don't believe me? go look at the bred section in your local supermarket, read the package of those commercial bred, and see for yourself.

OK I lied to myself but I'm going to keep engaging. BREAD DOESN'T CONTAIN SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF ALCOHOL, ISN'T IN AN ACIDIC SOLUTION, AND CONTAINS A MUCH HIGHER CARBOHYDRATE CONTENT THAT MOST BEER. All of those add up to bread needing preservatives for long term storage that beer does not.

This thread makes me so happy i don't worry about the small ****.

Those small ****, like GMO stuff, can kill you!;) although I would not be concerned about beavers anal gland as additive, it might be even good for you.:ban:

In many sense, beer and bred are very similar, you just mix grains with yeast and water, perhaps you can add a little salt and sugar to it, and you can bake kick ass wholesome bred, why on earth would commercial bakers add hundreds of chemicals to their bred?

The reason we don't see the chemicals and additives in the beer ingredients labels, according to Lee Janson's book, Brew Chem 101, he states that "commercial brewers are allowed to add, in any combination, over seventy-five chemicals, dyes, and additives to beer without informing the consumer."

Lee Janson is a Ph.D. and author of "Brew Chem 101", also author of "Medical Biochemistry: The Big Picture" published March 9th 2012 by McGraw-Hill Education / Medical. Forget about foodbabe, she is not relevant, we should not tarnish the truths just because this person had written something about it that made people here to believe that she is a fraud, that should not be the blanket reason to justify the false belief that "since foodbabe is a fraud, the commercial beer industry is telling the truth".

Janson makes the claim in his book which was published in 1996 on page 11 that beer companies can put over 75 chemicals, dyes, additives into beer without labeling. He does not provide a citation for his claim. Books are not peer reviewed so it would be unwise to take his claim as a fact even at the time of publication. If we fast forward to today there are additives that are sometimes used in beer like isinglass for things like fining, but you cannot use dyes or preservatives in beers without labeling them. You can read the relevant sections of law in my earlier post. The cool thing about the United States is that the law supersedes what a guy wrote in a book published in 1996. Although it may have been true when he wrote it, it is most certainly not true now.

I'm not sure I understand your logic thinking there's chemicals in craft beer as opposed to the malt extract or even whole grains you buy from AIH. Quite honestly a big beer company is much more likely to be tested for labeling compliance as opposed to a malt extract manufacturer.

I'm not sure I understand your logic thinking there's chemicals in craft beer as opposed to the malt extract or even whole grains you buy from AIH.

I had thought of that, it's true that it is a gamble to believe that the maker of malt extracts would not use additives, but unless the malt extract makers are part of the giant commercial food corps, they don't have the R&D resource like those giants have to massively adding chemicals and additives without actually negatively affect the taste of the malt extract. That is not to say that they won't, and it is very possible they have figured out how to add GMO corn and GMO corn syrups to the malt extracts to save the cost.

I am only going to brew one extract batch (my very first in life), after that I will be AG BIAB. Now, what are the chances of malt grains company adding chemicals, additives, sugar, GMO corn, GMO corn syrups to their whole grain malts? The risk exists, but logically, such risk should be extremely low, again, it's all about cost and profits: they don't have the budget like giants do to R&D the chemicals and additives formula that would result in lower production cost while not affecting the quality of their malts. They are dealing with brewer communities, any negative change in the quality of their malts will resulted in brewers abandon them and choose other malts (like: my last batch using the malts from company XYZ, but my beer is unlike anything I used to brew, so I will not brew using this brand of malt in my future brews). So I feel a lot safer to brew AG after my first experimental batch of extract recipe brewing.

Quite honestly a big beer company is much more likely to be tested for labeling compliance as opposed to a malt extract manufacturer.

I can't agree with that statement, if you have experience working in the upper management of some of the world's largest corporations, you would understand their game: the only moral ethic for them is profit! There are no "good guys" in the management who care about the health and lives of the consumers.

Responding against my better judgement,

Food Boob is an anti-vaxxer fraud who thinks whispering "Hitler" at water will change its composition (yes, she actually posted that in reference to another naturofraud).

And CSPI has stated a neo-prohibitionist goal that any alcohol is bad and is well known to manipulate science to serve their political ends.

Neither are worthwhile sources.

But patently, most craft brewers use nothing that are on these scientific frauds' naughty lists anyway. Bigger brewers, well they may (caramel coloring is common in UK brews, especially the macro ones, and GMO corn syrup in both US and UK brews, but both have been repeadetly proven by actual SCIENCE as safe, anything else is fear mongering).

Reactions: Kee
It's a good job that you are here with nothing but crackpot jibberish to tell us how stupid we all are. Especially when all we have is peer reviewed independently confirmed science. Thanks for enlightening us all

The bit about propylene glycol is antifreeze always gets me.

You know what else is an antifreeze?

Alcohol.

Both are commonly used in potable waterline antifreezes, y'know, because they won't poison you the way diethylene glycol will. Those two glycols are more different than water and hydrogen peroxide.

GMOs killed my brother! Oh wait, no they didn't. I don't even have a brother.

GMOs feed millions, reducing the cost of food for poor people and increasing their quality of life and their nutrition. I don't care if the CEOs have hearts of gold or hearts of stone. It makes absolutely no difference at all.

I made a hoppy pale ale (but less than IPA), that ended up sitting in primary for around 3 months. It had a few off flavors but bottle conditioning kind of cleaned them up. Hop aroma was still present, but faded pretty quick in the glass.

Like I said, this is a community, and those who are vicious personal attackers don't represent the majority of this community.

So says the person who just joined yesterday.

Maybe if you didn't start out your brand-new HBT membership experience by starting (and maintaining) a ridiculous argument you wouldn't encounter so much backlash. This community is very embracing and the people are helpful. They won't help you if you act like a spoiled little child having a tantrum.

Did you really think you weren't going to attract negative responses with your posts? Did you really think you could just drop in here and we would all rally around your "cause"?

Especially when this is a forum which promotes science and the useful arts

So you are an industry insider that possess the "absolute" true knowledge and facts that commercial beers don't use chemicals as additives for various reasons, including but not limited to enhancing the stability of commercial beers?

I admit I am a noob and I can't verify what chemicals commercial beer companies put in their beers, but there are more than enough Internet articles from credible authors, critics, consumer advocates, brewing industry insiders, and forums (forums are not the most credible source, I know), that give me reasonable doubts about your "absolutely not true" statement.

We are free to believe in our own believes, thanks for your comments.

I work for a "specialty chemicals" company and I can verify that all the BMC beers, as well as a few larger "craft ones" (sierra nevada, sam adams, etc), and some larger foreign american style lagers (saporro, kirin, etc) all use at least one product we make. The one I know of is a flocculating agent which is used like we homebrewers use irish moss. Im guessing its more effective since it would be much cheaper to use irish moss than buy a proprietary commerical ingredient. However, I would also consider the environment and equipment its made in.

All im saying is: im not allowed to carry my cell phone or any other electronics out in the plant that arent rated by the NEC as "non spark-producing" due to certain flammable chemical vapors which may be present around the plant. I am also required to be clean shaven at all times to be able to wear a respirator with a airtight seal if needed. We have plant evacuation drill on a bi-monthly basis

TL : DR - I dont drink sierra nevada anymore

Another delusional retarded belief: just because you have been a member since 2013 and I just joined "yesterday", does not automatically grant you any superiority over me, nor is that a factual evidence that your believes are not erroneous and delusional.

I started the thread asking a question about shelf life of a home brew that I will be brewing, and it triggered the reactions of those who are on the "cause": they are very likely getting paid by big commercial beer companies to attack anyone who mentioned commercial beer maker use harmful chemicals and additives without disclosing the facts to the public.

Foodbabe raised the issue and started a petition drive to request commercial beer makers to disclose their ingredients, she got over 40 thousand signatures within 24 hours online, that presents a huge threat to them, which is why when I mentioned foodbabe on this thread, I was immediately viciously attacked by the attacking dogs of the commercial beer companies. Good job dogie! now you can go claim your dog biscuits from your masters.

Yes, it's a conspiracy. I'm well paid by big beer to monitor this website and smackdown any talk of all the harmful chemicals that are added to beer, yet don't actually seem to be harming anybody.

If that job exists, I want it! Can you imagine? Just read HBT like I already do and not agree with things people say that are wrong. Easy money.

Another delusional retarded belief

triggered the reactions of those who are on the "cause": they are very likely getting paid by big commercial beer companies to attack anyone who mentioned commercial beer maker use harmful chemicals and additives without disclosing the facts to the public.

Easy, buddy. I'm sure you understand as an adult that calling people retarded is way out of line. Also accusing us of being paid for by big commercial breweries is quite illogical. You actually think several devoted members of a homebrewing forum are bought and paid for by big breweries? We just disagree and have some pretty solid evidence on our side.

If you want to make your own beer so you know what goes into it, that's fine. A lot of people are that way, as other folks have mentioned. You've offered no proof of the claims that you're making, and for the most part neither have we. If you want the forum's help, I would agree to disagree and leave conspiracy theories out of it.

First, you do not represent "us". You do not even represent the attacking dogs.

Second, I am justified to regard those attacking dogs "retarded", because that's who they really are. They had attacked me for no reason, am I not entitled at least some verbal defense?

Third, "No proof"? or you are just refuse to even consider that there are mountains of proofs right under your nose?

If you believe that commercial beer makers list all their additives on the label, then, this post must be a lie and a conspiracy too: ;););)

I do represent "us" as a member of the forum. We are not attacking dogs, we just do not agree with what you're saying. Sure, you're entitled to verbal defense, but as soon as you start name-calling instead, you're out of line.

What mountains of proof have you offered? You cited a very general, vague quote from 1996 and a foodbabe article that has been debunked time and time again. I'm not 100% positive that large breweries don't add chemicals, but I'm not accusing the breweries of adding several chemicals without any proof, either. Again, if it's something you want to believe, that's fine. I'm just trying to give you some advice on how to exist in this forum without pissing everybody off. If you don't want to take it, that's fine, but there are always consequences.

If that job exists, I want it! Can you imagine? Just read HBT like I already do and not agree with things people say that are wrong. Easy money.

By the "logic" of attacking dogs, you don't have scientific proof that such job does not exist. and I can reserve my rights to believe that you may actually be working under such job assignment.

I do represent "us" as a member of the forum.

Let's exam your logic: you represent "us" as a member of a forum, which I am also a member, what grants you authority to exclude me, a member, from your self claimed non-existent entity, "us", and create a division among forum members to fight with each other as "us" against "him/them"?

BTW, my check from Anheuser-Busch InBev is late again and I can't find the phone number. Can somebody message that to me?

I got mine today. Don't worry, yours should be coming soon. Probably just the slowdown of the mail after the holidays. I'm having my account set up for direct deposit so I don't have to keep running to the bank each month.

Anyone else experiencing delays with their AB InBev dividend checks?

I got mine today. Don't worry, yours should be coming soon. Probably just the slowdown of the mail after the holidays. I'm having my account set up for direct deposit so I don't have to keep running to the bank each month.

Anyone else experiencing delays with their AB InBev dividend checks?

I'm blaming Kevin in accounting. He is the one that screwed it up last time.

I'm blaming Kevin in accounting. He is the one that screwed it up last time.

Agree. AB's Royalty and Dividend Disbursement Payment Division has had some accounting glitches lately. A couple months ago they mistakenly paid my consulting fee at the old 2014 rate, though Kevin quickly addressed the problem when I called him. I think they have found themselves short handed with all the new consultant accounts.

Funny, I haven't noticed any of those problems receiving my fees from Monsanto, Du Pont, or Koch Industries.

Don't understand why home brewers would want to defend the commercial industry that had been know to use additives and chemicals in food and beer. CSPI had been pounding on commercial beer additive issues for over 30 years, where have all you been?

May be we should just close this thread, it has way off the topic.

Good idea.

Discussion is welcome in our forum, being argumentative and namecalling is not.

Also, "where have you all been?" etc is pretty snarky as well.

Rule number one in forum use really is "Don't be a dick".

If we all follow rule number one, we'll all get along here just fine.

And, finally, to answer the OP's initial question:

Your beer will be fine as long you prevent it from completely freezing, or age at warmer temps. The colder you can store it, the less it will age. Though hops seem to fade sooner than pretty much all other ingredients. Even the best craft brewers and homebrewers cannot prevent hops from fading. That would be a trick worth knowing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back