Bottled my first kit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mismost

Reaction score
Did a Island Mist Red Zinfadel...followed all directions and it was super clear right on schedule, so I bottled it yesterday. Man it was pretty....all those clear bottles of wine lined up in the kitchen window sill!

My wine fan neighbor said it was too sweet for her taste and then poured another glass. Bet she finished off that bottle! It is a bit sweet, even my wife said so as she guzzled down her second glass.

It was fun to make. Got the Peach Apricot Chard in secondary now. Next, I wanna try a "real wine" kit....any suggestions?

Did a Island Mist Red Zinfadel...followed all directions and it was super clear right on schedule, so I bottled it yesterday. Man it was pretty....all those clear bottles of wine lined up in the kitchen window sill!

My wine fan neighbor said it was too sweet for her taste and then poured another glass. Bet she finished off that bottle! It is a bit sweet, even my wife said so as she guzzled down her second glass.

It was fun to make. Got the Peach Apricot Chard in secondary now. Next, I wanna try a "real wine" kit....any suggestions?

Those are sweet, but many people like those kits.

For "real" wine, I find that they range from ok (the $65ish price range) to excellent ($160+). With wine kits, you really do get what you pay for.

If you want a simple non-complex table wine, those Winexpert kits in the lower price range are fine. They remind me of a $5-7 bottle of wine. If you want a medium quality, those kits are in the $125 range and nice enough for quests (but not true wine snobs).

The cheaper ones are "30 days kits", and have more condensed juice and you use more water. The most expensive ones have more juice, and you use far less water, and they often require some aging to be at their best.

They have all sorts of varieties, from rieslings to amarones, so you can choose one that sounds good to you.

Those are sweet, but many people like those kits.

For "real" wine, I find that they range from ok (the $65ish price range) to excellent ($160+). With wine kits, you really do get what you pay for.

If you want a simple non-complex table wine, those Winexpert kits in the lower price range are fine. They remind me of a $5-7 bottle of wine. If you want a medium quality, those kits are in the $125 range and nice enough for quests (but not true wine snobs).

The cheaper ones are "30 days kits", and have more condensed juice and you use more water. The most expensive ones have more juice, and you use far less water, and they often require some aging to be at their best.

They have all sorts of varieties, from rieslings to amarones, so you can choose one that sounds good to you.

You are dead on...it is pretty sweet. I really just wanted to get some experience in, before spending a lot of money on a kit. I am comfortable now.

What you suggest for the next kit...let's say middle of the road price range?

And, please suggest a higher end kit too. I have empty carboys and could easily bulk age a better wine.

Thanks Yopper!

I've done a lot of wine kits, many high end ones. The one that got the most raves and one of my favorites was the Winexpert Sangiovese.

The local place has it for less than $60 and it is a great, early drinker.

If you want to try a white wine, I've really enjoyed the Voigner.

Happy brewing.

When you pick up your next kit, also pick up a 96 oz can of Vinter's Harvest fruit wine base and the ingredients listed on the can. They are a pretty foolproof way to get into country winemaking, and could give you some interesting blending options (elderberry cabernet or peach moscato both come to mind).

Latest posts

Back