Bottled my first brew this weekend. India Pale Ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefe

Reaction score
Bottling is a bit of a pain in my kludged-together beer brewing area, but when the home wet-bar is completed it will be just grand.
Having done it the clunky way I've already come up with some labour saving ideas for how to design the wet bar area to inlcude easier siphoning and bottling of beer. When we get to the wet-bar construction stage of our home-theater entertainment room, I'll try to capture the construction process and post here so everyone can see.

What we did:
We sanitized 40 500 ml flip-top glass bottles (Grolsch-style).
(7 green glass, the rest brown glass)
We racked our beer from the secondary to a bottleing container. (as sanitized empty spring-water carboy)
We placed 1/2-3/4 tsp of dextrose in each bottle (using a sanitized funnel and spoon), then racked to the bottles using our sanitized autosiphon.
Then we capped the bottles and plan to let the sit for 3-4 weeks in a warm, dark place.

At the end of the bottling we had about 1/3 of a bottle of wort left over. We tasted it and it seemed good.
It had a distinctive fruity sort of undertone with a dry sort of woodsy/mossy? aftertaste. It was flat, but tasted good. Mouth feel was lacking due to absence of carbonation
Looking forward to the finished product.

Next on the agenda: Steam Lager (or California Common)

Since you racked to a different vessel anyway, why didn't you do a batch priming instead of messing with sugar added to each bottle? You could go the other way also. If you're going to add sugar to the bottles, why rack to another container?

I racked to a bottling vessel to eliminate the sediment at the bottom of the secondary.

My siphoning techniques are still in the development stage.

Then, as stated above, you can batch prime in the bottling vessel instead of each bottle. Makes it a lot easier.

Jefe said:
I racked to a bottling vessel to eliminate the sediment at the bottom of the secondary.

My siphoning techniques are still in the development stage.

I'll second that ... boil 1.25 cups DME with a pint of water (this is for 5 gals of beer) for 15 mins, cool it, and add it to the bottling vessel...then stir very lightly, being careful not to slosh it.

This will eliminate the painstaking process of adding priming sugar to each bottle.

Also, just so you know, what you bottled was no longer "wort". Wort is sweet yeast food. What you drank/bottled was beer, my friend. Rejoice!

Back