Logistics of brewing in the bathroom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlutter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I made a deal with my wife that if we finished the basement I could set up a brewery and small bar. Her counter offer was that her stuff had to be finished before I could start on my stuff...mostly because she knew that brewery planning would delay construction and she is a "make a decision and get it done" type of person.

Fast forward to now. My allotted space dedicated to brewing is a 5 x 10 ft area of our 12 x 13 ft basement guest bathroom (see attached photos). I'm less concerned about the bathroom sanitation side of things (because Chlorox & it is infrequently used) and more concerned with not destroying the bathroom/plumbing with my brewing activities. I should also mention that we live in the country and have our own lagoon system, so I can't just dump things and let the city deal with the consequences. My questions are regarding the space setup and brewing operations:

1. Is it reasonable to use the 5 ft shower stall as the cleaning/sanitation station knowing that some particulates will end up down the drain? Or would it be better to have some sort of utility sink on wheels with a settling tank beneath it that could trap solids and allow the over flow to go down the shower drain?

a. I was thinking I would exsanguinate grain beds and hop bags in that area before
hauling them to the trash. I was also going to flush trub, etc down the toilet before
washing equipment in the shower.

b. I do have the option to call the plumber and install a utility sink where the small
freezer is currently sitting in the pictures. The tiny wall between it and the vanity
contains the sewer main for the house. I imagine I could get water to the sink
by tying into the vanity water lines. I am trying to avoid this option because it
annoys me to have to call someone back in to do work that could have been done
right the first time but I'd be willing to do it if it is the best option.

2. Assuming I go the shower route, does anyone see problems with using the shower water as my main water source to fill kettles, etc? I'm planning to have my brew station on wheels so I could fill up at the shower and wheel the cart back to the brew area where outlets are located.

3. Would it be better to use kitchen style cabinets & countertop or stainless steel tables for the work space in the brew area? DIYing a brew station out of 2x4s has already been shot down based on aesthetics.

4. Any concerns about having brewing items being kept in the brew area during bathroom/shower activities? Keep in mind that I am a surgeon and am already neurotic about sanitation/infection control in all areas of my life

Attachments

• 20190515_081040.jpg
    20190515_081040.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 110
It's awesome you're getting a dedicated space. I've got a similar deal with my wife, but I have to redo the kitchen before I start downstairs. Except for maybe electrical, since my workshop is down there too.

I'm on septic system as well and have thought some about this.

1. I think it's reasonable to use the shower stall as a wash station. If you are concerned about particulates you could fashion a screen drain cover. I use on in the kitchen sink that looks like stainless window screen.

a. It'll be difficult to relieve the grain bed and hops from all the blood. You may have to wait awhile. ;) Let the solids finish draining and then send them to the compost. trub could be poured on top of the grain bed to let drain too. I always send the yeast cake down the toilet, based on the old-timers recommendations of flushing a packet of bakers yeast monthly to help maintain the system.

b. As long as your draining and hauling the grain and hops out, then the big benefit of the utility sink is so you are not washing thing on the floor.

2. Depending on how you plan on getting the water into the kettle. If you're having other plumbing work done, you could have a hose bib installed inside the shower, similar to locker room showers have. Then you could just attach a RV water line. If you can get a shower head with a sprayer, that could work too, but I would avoid the sprayers with a pvc hose. The metal clad hoses may still give a plastic off flavor as well.

3. I think it comes down to aesthetics. As long as the bathroom is properly vented (it should be if you're brewing in there), there shouldn't be an issue with humidity damaging bathroom quality cabinets. Depending on the countertop, they may be more or less chemical and heat resistant. They can still work, you just may have to be more cautious. If you go stainless, I would avoid sanitizing the surface with bleach. It can cause the steel to rust. Go with a QUAT (409 or the like) or alcohol based sanitizer/ cleaner instead.

4. I'd keep everything covered when not brewing or at least before company arrives. Plastic totes, kettle lids on, etc. Then follow up with a wipe down before brewing again. That's also a good idea before brewing anytime too. http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/fecal-matter-on-toothbrush/

I should also mention that we live in the country and have our own lagoon system, so I can't just dump things and let the city deal with the consequences. My questions are regarding the space setup and brewing operations:
Is the location of Manhattan outdated or wrong in your profile or is there "country side" in manhattan Ive never seen? Sorry a bit off topic but I had to laugh...

as far as your concerns, I havce been homebrewing in a spare bedroom and using all the plumbing from the adjecnt bathroom to do so for almost 6 years now.
besides dumping hot liquids down the drain which could melt the toilets wax seal I dont see what you have to worry about. also I would not store grain in the bathroom at all especially if you ever use the shower for actual showers. the rest is more of less minor inconveniences like the sink being too small and not being able to get certian things under the faucet to clean them as well as a utility or even kitchen sink.

I do clean my kegs in the shower... never been an issue with the drain.. wish I could say the same about bathing my German Shepard or even my girlfriends hair ending up in the drain...
theoretically the shower water could contain more chlorine if you have it since the areation isnt the same as the one usually found on a kitchen or bathroom faucet to aid in dispersing it from the water into the atmosphere. but Ive never noticed a real difference.

I don't brew in a bathroom, but in an unfinished part of the basement which is adjacent to the bathroom in the finished area. I use the shower for cleaning and filling kettles (it's only about 10 feet from where I brew) and flush trub down the toilet.

I made up a short hose out of an RV hose and replace the shower head with the hose when I’m brewing. Actually, since the shower is rarely used, I should say I replace the hose with the shower head for the few times a year when we have overnight guests staying downstairs.

We're in a rural area, on a septic system, and nothing that goes down the drain is going to overload the system. There's a hay field about 100 feet from the house and spent grains get dumped there.

also I would not store grain in the bathroom at all especially if you ever use the shower for actual showers. the rest is more of less minor inconveniences like the sink being too small and not being able to get certian things under the faucet to clean them as well as a utility or even kitchen sink.
Good call, I was just thinking equipment not ingredients. Those should be store in an airtight container elsewhere.

The bathroom sink could be replaced with a kitchen sink. It would be more functional and retain some of the aesthetics.

I made up a short hose out of an RV hose and replace the shower head with the hose when I’m brewing. Actually, since the shower is rarely used, I should say I replace the hose with the shower head for the few times a year when we have overnight guests staying downstairs.

Maybe install a 3 way valve so you could select the shower or the rv house? No clue if it would actually work, just spit balling.

Maybe install a 3 way valve so you could select the shower or the rv house? No clue if it would actually work, just spit balling.

That would work just fine. Considering that it only takes about 30 seconds to switch between the hose and the shower head, and I only do that a few times a year, I haven't felt the need to make any changes.

I'd have to get fittings that could take a rubber gasket. Knowing my planning ability, I'd find out I was out of teflon tape the same day company was arriving....

Is the location of Manhattan outdated or wrong in your profile or is there "country side" in manhattan Ive never seen? Sorry a bit off topic but I had to laugh...

huh, never noticed that before. Manhattan, KS actually. Plenty of country side here! Good point on the grain storage.

I made up a short hose out of an RV hose

I was thinking of running a hose off of the shower. Why an RV hose? Silicone tubing was the first thing that entered my mind.

The bathroom sink could be replaced with a kitchen sink. It would be more functional and retain some of the aesthetics.

I was thinking either that or possibly replace the sink faucet with a detachable head kitchen style faucet. Not sure if the hole spacing is the same, though.

One thing about using a shower sprayer head to fill kettles-- it will take a while (compare to a main faucet). The flow rates on those things are intentionally low.

I was thinking of running a hose off of the shower. Why an RV hose? Silicone tubing was the first thing that entered my mind.

The white water hoses used to connect an RV to city water are designed for use with potable water. Regular garden hose may introduce off flavors when used for drinking/brewing water. RV hose is cheaper than silicone tubing, as well.

Lots of good advice here.
I've brewed in a basement bathroom and shower before, but don't store anything there.

I've had no problems with flushing kettle trub down the toilet.

I've used a coiled RV water hose hooked up to the sink (I remove the aerator and screw in a quick disconnect fitting, then hook the hose to that). I use it to fill the kettle, then swap out the garden hose sprayer head for an immersion chiller (again, with quick disconnects) when the time comes, and then put back in the garden hose sprayer head for cleanup.

After dumping the trub and flushing the kettle out once or twice (again, down the toilet), there's very little solid matter that goes down the shower drain. Having the garden hose sprayer on the coiled hose makes it super easy to rinse down the shower space.
It looks like that little nook could make a reasonable closet for storing your gear, if you put in a few shelves.

I was thinking either that or possibly replace the sink faucet with a detachable head kitchen style faucet. Not sure if the hole spacing is the same, though.

In the winter when it's below freezing or I'm prepping the night before, I use the pull-out, detachable-head kitchen faucet to fill my kettles and hlt. Most of the faucets that I've seen with the pull out head only require a single hole.

Back