Bottled from Keg, Undercarbonated, Now What?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbedell2

Reaction score
So I recently brewed EdWort's Kolsch recipe, and it turned out great. I kegged and force carbed it at 30psi for 36 hours, then 10psi for 24 hours, then bottled the entire batch using BierMuncher's bottle filler.

Unfortunately, the bottles are all undercarbed. I think it just needed a few more days on gas before it was really ready.

Most threads that I've seen about undercarbonation are for bottle primed beers and the answer is always "be patient." But obviously patience isn't going to do anything in this case.

So, my question is, what now? Seems like my two options are to a) add some priming sugar - e.g. a coopers drop - to each bottle and recap or b) pour everything back into the keg and force carb it more. I think I could pour everything back into the keg with minimal oxidation if I flush with CO2 and pour carefully. As for adding sugar, my biggest concern would be overcarbonating, since there is some carbonation in the bottles already.

Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

I would use a carbonation tab and aim for whatever the low amount is. You could pour it into the keg but I would only do that if it was going to be drank pretty quickly like 2-3 week tops. that is a pretty light beer and will show flaws pretty quick I would imagine. You will also loose hop character in that process.

Latest posts

Back