Bottled beer is way under carbonated.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chief415

Reaction score
I bottled an Imperial IPA two weeks ago and stored the bottles at room temp, 75 degrees being the warmest and 65 degrees being the lowest. Original gravity 1.079, final gravity 1.012. I used 4 oz corn sugar for 4.5 gallons. I opened up a bottle and poured into a glass and the beer had little, if any carbonation. Beer was very cloudy too. Any ideas as to what happened? Any way to fix?

yea, maybe give it a little more time. Is there any sediment in the bottom of the bottles?

Did you leave the beer in the fridge for a full day or two before you opened it?

I'd give it another week. 2 weeks rarely seemed enough for me when I was bottle conditioning my beers.

+1, more time. Especially considering the beer is still cloudy...you still have yeast in suspension, they just need to finish working and then it will clear up. You used a good amount of priming sugar, so I think time will fix it.

Thank you for the responses. After reading these replies and doing some further reading, it appears that more time is the answer. Cheers everyone!

How long was the beer in the fermenter/secondary?

I had a similar problem with my first RIS and the beer never did carbonate properly. Similar gravities to yours. It tastes great but just a slight pop when I pop the cap and barely a bubble on the surface when I pour it. It's been over a year now. I've still got a case of the stuff that I'm trying to decide what to do with.

Since that experience I have learned that the combination of a very high gravity beer and long term aging can exhaust the yeast. It simply doesn't have the resources available to pick up again and carbonate the beer. When making big beers like that many brewers add 1/3 pkt of a neutral dry yeast (like US-05) to the bottling bucket to insure proper carbonation.

As others have suggested I'd say let it set a few more weeks at room temperature. If it still doesn't carb up then you're probably in the same situation I'm in with that RIS.

Good luck!

That's a big beer, and a short time to carbonate. I'd wait at least another week, and possibly two. My higher ABV beers have taken a little longer to fully carb up for me.

Invert / rouse / gently swirl the bottles once or twice over the next week to get the lazy yeasts back into suspension, then let 'em sit another week or two to finish up and drop clear. That can help on big beers like this.

(What size bottles? I find big beers in 22oz bombers to take a week or two longer to carb than 12'ers)

And like said, next time try some yeast with the priming sugar at bottling time, either the same kind you used to ferment or some specific bottling yeast (like CBC-1). Really doesn't take much, like 0.5-1 gram in a 5 gal batch.

Back