bottle to growler transfer, leaving sediment behind (filter?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiredboy

Reaction score
I bottle condition my beers so end up with sediment in the bottle. I don't have an issue with this as I leave them to sit in the fridge and pour carefully but I am going camping soon and want to use my new growler (From Fort George in Astoria, Oregon - great beers and worth a trip, much better than others in town but that's a side issue). I am concerned that taking my bottles on the rough car journey will result in suspsended sediment (as will pouring all the beer into the growler). I would like to avoid having to carefully pouring each bottle into the growler and leaving the sediment behind (along with the loss of beer), is there a way to filter the beer as I transfer it? I was thinking about pouring through a coffee filter during the transfer. Transfer will be at most 24 hours before I intend on drinking the beer so I'm not sure whether the oxyhgenation effect would be an issue.

I have never used a growler before, but I do know that beer will only last for about 36 hours before it will go. This might be accentuated by the car ride. How long have the bottles been in the fridge? The longer they are in there, the more compact the yeast cake becomes. I have had some beers that I can tip upside down and not much yeast separates from the cake after a month in the fridge. As for driving with the bottles, I don't know. I have certainly driven with plenty of bottles and the yeast never gets disturbed. These drives were no more than two hours and were on highways, not on some suspect camping roads. I would say go ahead and just bring the bottles. Worst case, you drink a lil yeast. That's no biggie!:drunk:

I'm guessing, but that coffee filter is going to aerate your beer and give it lots of potentiation sites for carbonation release...ie: foaming.

I'd just pack the bottles and deal. Let them sit in the cooler for an hour after you get to your destination and the sediment should resettle.

Just bring the bottles. Transferring to a growler is going to kill all of the carbonation you were bottle conditioning to create. Sediment won't hurt you... in fact it is good for you.

Back