Bottle storage temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
After the bottles have carb'd, do I have to refridgerate them? If I'm going to age 'em for a few months, can I do it at room temp? Thanks

After mine has carbonated I usually just try to keep it in a dark corner in my shop, as long as the ambient temps stay around 65 degrees. When it gets above that I make room in the shop fridge. Keep your beer in a dark place or keep covered or you run the risk of lightstruck (skunky) beer

Definately keep them out of direct sunlight. Temp is no big deal. Keep them in the same area as your secondary (arounf 65-70 degrees) and they will continue to condition.

SOme beer, in fact, a lot of beers get better with age!

My bottles are sitting at around 55 degrees (my only storage is in my basement)... I don't know if this is good or bad... :confused:

Melana said:
My bottles are sitting at around 55 degrees (my only storage is in my basement)... I don't know if this is good or bad... :confused:

That is ideal for storage really. If you are trying to carbonate and put them immediately down there it may take quite a long time.

You guys are all lucky as hell to have ambient temps in the 50's or 60's ... here in sunny FL if we dont blast the air this time of year our ambient temps are 90's and even with air 70's are gonna cost $$...forget about anythign lower

gonzoflick said:
You guys are all lucky as hell to have ambient temps in the 50's or 60's ... here in sunny FL if we dont blast the air this time of year our ambient temps are 90's and even with air 70's are gonna cost $$...forget about anythign lower

Oh, yeah we were SO lucky to have the heat going last week with temps in the 40's.

And thanks for the feedback... any idea how long they'll take to carb up nice? My very first batch has been down there for 3 weeks tomorrow and my patience is running out. Was hoping to share the very first bottle with DH on Friday night when he returns from Florida...

Oh gosh I "sample" at least one bottle per week while carbing. Three weeks in I would have probably gone through a sixer already. Try one out tonight and I bet you will love it.. Make sure to chill first though of course... oh and yea I love the weather here for everything except brewing.

Melana said:
... any idea how long they'll take to carb up nice? My very first batch has been down there for 3 weeks tomorrow and my patience is running out. Was hoping to share the very first bottle with DH on Friday night when he returns from Florida...

Bring 'em into the house for the rest of the week and they'll be fine, I bet. In the future, you might let them sit at room temp (68ish) for a week before you put them in the basement.

Monk

I can't. I promised my DH that I would wait for him to get home. I did take advantage of him being away from home and bought us 3 3gal carboys and 2 5gal carboys.
And I was just going on the advice that I read from the more knowledgeable brewers (1-2-3 method) and so we waited. Almost like waiting for marriage only not as frustrating!!!

Back