Bottle Sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garmoni

Reaction score
Worst part of bottle conditioning is dealing with the sediment in the bottom of bottles. Wondering how many folks just drink from the bottle and don't worry about it. I typically will pour off the sediment into a glass but when folks come over they don't seem to want to deal with that and drink right from the bottle.

I almost always pour into a glass, the way God intended.

That said, I'm not opposed to drinking from the bottle if there isn't TOO much junk in it, or if the style supported it.

But I do love kegging. It's less tedious and I can usually fill bottles right from the keg that have practically ZERO sediment.

I think the trick to bottling without too much sediment is to use a good fining agent, the right recipe/method, and a little patience.

Geezum, if that's the worst thing you have to worry about, then you're pretty lucky! ;)
Since I have a good enough pipeline, I always let my bottles carbonate for 3 weeks and then chill them down for at least another 2 weeks. The yeast stays pretty compact at the bottom. I generally pour until I see the sediment starting to enter the neck, then stop and drink the dregs from the bottle. Good source of B-vitamins and probiotics.

Okay so I am a geek, I want to see my homebrew a glass. I want to treat my masterpiece with some dignity. My hard work deserves a crystal chalice :mug:

Back