Bottle sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaunasaurus

Reaction score
Hi guys. im fairly new to brewing but i am keen to learn more. My university lecturer is a beer judge and i want to give him a bottle of my brew to see where the faults are so i can hopefully improve them. however i dont want to disturb the yeastt sediment in the bottom. if it gets disturbed, will it resettle?
thanks guys :mug:

Yes, it sure will. Typically, the longer the beer has been bottled, and the colder the beer, the more compact and "sturdy" the yeast cake becomes.

excellent!
it has been bottled for 3 weeks. one of those weeks it has been in the fridge. country lanes + moped = well shaken beer :eek:

I'm new too :)

Mines has been bottled for 2 weeks and still at room temperature, going to store in cold conditions now but I have been advised to leave it cold for an additional 3-4 weeks minimum to let flavours develop

As long as the person you give it to puts it in the fridge for a few days and lets it settle out, it will be fine. If he is a beer judge, he will have plenty of experience dealing with, and pouring correctly, a bottle conditioned beer.

yeah im sure he does. i just didnt want to ruin it before i got it to him. it could probably do with a bit longer in the fridge to condintion it a bit longer. im still over the moon with how well it turned out though. made 24 bottles and my brother and i polished off 12 in one evening

You don't need to condition them cold unless you have a lager yeast strain that works well at low temps. If it's an ale, just keep it cool, like in the 50-60 F range. When you refrigerate it, the yeast will go dormant.

Latest posts

Back