Bottle Sanitizing Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalleyeGuy

Reaction score
Hello. I have 2 sets of bottles that were previously cleaned and sanitized (about 6 months ago) and have now been stored.

The first set was stored in closed cardboard beer boxes.

The second set were stored upside down on a drying rack in the open air.

Before using them to bottle, do I need to clean them again? Or just sanitize?

Thanks!
:mug:

I've had this scenario before and I just sanitized them again. Generally, only a little dust has collected in the bottles during that time so no need to clean them as the sanitizing solution will do the job.

Agree with the above. Since they were already cleaned, you should be fine just sanitizing them.

I typically jet rinse then sanitize. Spider, or something else, might have crawled or floated in. Might be over doing it, but it doesn't take up much time.

i usually run them through the dishwasher and then sanitize.....it's easy and it takes the worrying out. You'd probably be fine if you don't.

I rinse & scrub'em a couple times,then onto the bottle tree to dry before storing in covered beer boxes. Then sanitize with Starsan in the vinator on top of my bottle tree.

I would rinse and sanitize. I've found previously washed and boxed up bottles in my storage area that have dead bugs and other crap in them that you'd rather not have in your beer, it will take 4 minutes to do.

A quick rinse with StarSan would be a fast and simple way to make certain that the bottles are sanitary...and also stop a brewer from much worry!

glenn514:mug:

I rinse right away after pouring, de-label using oxyclean, let dry in my dishwasher, store in boxes and then sanitize the day of bottling. I've yet to have issues with bottles stored in my pantry or in my garage.

One thing i do is after I clean and dry bottles I cut out small square pieces of aluminum foil (2'x2') and I cover the top of the bottle. They can be molded to fit snug and that way spiders(which I have MANY of) do not crawl in there. It's simple enough to just pull the cool off and store it in a small storage container to put on new bottles.

perfect. Sounds like we have an agreement.

I was pretty sure I would be fine just sanitizing again, but always worth asking for 2nd (3rd, 4th, 5th...) opinions!

Will be bottling Russian Imperial Stout, Apfelwein, and smokey porter by this weekend! They all should be very nicely aged at this point.

Back