Bottle sanitizing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil74501

Reaction score
How long can you let bottles sit after sanitizing before you use them to bottle with?

I'm trying to get a batch of ale bottled. It would be easier to do it in two stages after I get home from work. Sanitize the bottles one day, bottle the next. It's either that or wait until Saturday or Sunday to do it.

you need to fill them shortly after sanitizing them or risk infection

Funny! I asked that question (as a new brewer) about five or six weeks ago:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=565909

From the responses in that thread plus other reading, I eventually bought a vinator, which is a way to easily sanitize bottles. Like this (3 minute video):

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yy-ierbukQ[/ame]

They cost in the neighborhood of $13-$20 depending on where you buy them. It's a cheesy-looking and -feeling thing, but it works just as advertised. You can put your bottle caps in the reservoir to sanitize as well.

You can clean your bottles the night before, but sanitizing them this way takes about 5 seconds per bottle. If you want, sanitize a bottle, then put another on it and sanitize that one. Fill the first, then grab the bottle on the vinator, put another one on and a couple pumps, then fill the one you pulled off. Repeat as needed until all bottles are filled.

I make about 4 gallons of starsan in a 5 gallon bucket in the sink, submerge 10 - 12 bottles upright, remove, pour back in the bucket and sit on the counter.
I submerge 10 - 12 more then fill the first 10 after pouring the little bit of starsan left on the spill towel under the bottle filler.
Repeat.
Caps go in a small bowl of starsan and I refill my spray bottle with fresh

Shortly realizes they need to be filled after sanitizing. Phil was asking if he was infected.

Funny! I asked that question (as a new brewer) about five or six weeks ago:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=565909

From the responses in that thread plus other reading, I eventually bought a vinator, which is a way to easily sanitize bottles. Like this (3 minute video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yy-ierbukQ

They cost in the neighborhood of $13-$20 depending on where you buy them. It's a cheesy-looking and -feeling thing, but it works just as advertised. You can put your bottle caps in the reservoir to sanitize as well.

You can clean your bottles the night before, but sanitizing them this way takes about 5 seconds per bottle. If you want, sanitize a bottle, then put another on it and sanitize that one. Fill the first, then grab the bottle on the vinator, put another one on and a couple pumps, then fill the one you pulled off. Repeat as needed until all bottles are filled.

I actually have one of those and a bottle tree...I think that's what it's called. I squirt some star san in the bottle, then put them on the tree until I'm ready to use them. But when you're trying to do 50 bottles at once, it's kinda time consuming.

I actually have one of those and a bottle tree...I think that's what it's called. I squirt some star san in the bottle, then put them on the tree until I'm ready to use them. But when you're trying to do 50 bottles at once, it's kinda time consuming.

So don't do them all at once. One reason I went w/ the fast-rack system instead of a bottle tree was that I could access the bottles more easily.

My first time bottling, I was trying to find the most time-and-motion-effective way to do it. No wasted motions, no extra reaching, nothing that couldn't be made easier, faster, or better.

To me, grabbing a bottle, putting it on the vinator, couple of squirts, while it drains I fill the previous bottle, when done grab the one on the vinator, grab another needing sanitizing w/ my right hand, put on vinator, couple of squirts, fill previous bottle....

If you can do that with one hand while the other is holding the filling wand while it fills the bottle, you're killing two birds with one stone. It's just a matter of getting everything within easy reach, and trying to be as efficient as I can. Do it enough times in a row and it becomes a habit you don't even have to think about.

I make about 4 gallons of starsan in a 5 gallon bucket in the sink, submerge 10 - 12 bottles upright, remove, pour back in the bucket and sit on the counter.
I submerge 10 - 12 more then fill the first 10 after pouring the little bit of starsan left on the spill towel under the bottle filler.
Repeat.
Caps go in a small bowl of starsan and I refill my spray bottle with fresh
I did something similar when I was bottling, except in the kitchen sink.

I know everyone regards bottling as a chore and is often looking for the quickest and most efficient way to get through it. I kind of enjoy the zen-like nature of the whole process: throw on some tunes, crack a beer, grab empty bottle from bucket of sanitizer, fill, cap, repeat. I see it as a relaxing way to spend a few hours on the weekend.

Though, I suppose,my attitude towards bottling only holds if you, in fact, have a few hours with nothing better to do on a weekend.

You can cap each bottle with a piece of aluminum foil, put in the oven and then turn it on at 350F, after 90 minutes turn the oven off. By the next day they are cool and ready to go. Unlike sanitizing, this actually sterilizes them and they as long as the aluminum foil is in place they stay sterile for a long time.

You can cap each bottle with a piece of aluminum foil, put in the oven and then turn it on at 350F, after 90 minutes turn the oven off. By the next day they are cool and ready to go. Unlike sanitizing, this actually sterilizes them and they as long as the aluminum foil is in place they stay sterile for a long time.

yup. glad I caught this because I was going to suggest the same method. it makes bottling day a little shorter. as long as the bottles are clean just stick em in the oven and you're good to go. I prep mine days before bottling and then on the day it's as easy as removing the tin foil and filling. never had a problem.

Latest posts

Back