Bottle priming temp too low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHouse

Reaction score
I have just finished bottling my first brew in about 4 years! Thanks to Revvy's excellent thread, it was a pretty easy task.

We keep the heat in our house pretty low...mostly at 65°. I have the beer in the basement where it's about 60-64° most days. Is this too cool to prime it? I could move them upstairs and raise the heat a bit if necessary.

Thanks....

for bottle priming you want it in the mid 70s. so your actually priming a little low. it will still work it will just take longer.

Tipsy's right. It just will take longer, which isn't really a problem unless you are impatient. My loft in the winter is around that, and it can take upwards of 6-8 weeks for them to carb up. For normal beers that is.

If you have a room with a water heater, washer and dryer, of even your furnace I would set them close to those heat sources.

Thanks guys....I'll move the beer to somewhere a bit warmer.....don't know that I can wait 6-8 weeks:)

The beer is actually pretty close to the boiler, but the darn thing is so well well insulated that it doesn't really heat up the basement much. Maybe I could put the bottles on top of the freezer.

Thanks guys....I'll move the beer to somewhere a bit warmer.....don't know that I can wait 6-8 weeks:)

The beer is actually pretty close to the boiler, but the darn thing is so well well insulated that it doesn't really heat up the basement much. Maybe I could put the bottles on top of the freezer.

Are you on a cement slab? Get them up off that, even if it's just on a couple of 2 X 4s I have the one's at my GF's one milk crate height up off the slab.

No, they were on a wooden shelf under my fermenting bench. I have moved them upstairs in the corner that sits just above the spot where most of the Pex lines from the boiler run...it's a nice warm spot. I have a thermometer in the crate, and I'll keep an eye on it. I picked up a few crates form WallyWorld today....need to get a few more though. I'll be able to stack quite a few in that spot:D

Thanks for your help! And especially for the bottling thread. I got myself a bottle blaster, a 1/2" auto siphon, a vinator for sanitizing, and I used your trick for attaching the wand directly to the bucket. We picked up about 80 or so bottles from the transfer station yesterday, soaked 'em in Oxyclean for about an hour. Peeled the labels off, and used the bottle blaster to rinse them out.

The bottling went very smoothly today....I need to make a pick up tube though...that's one thing I forgot.

Latest posts

Back