Bottle now, prime and rebottle later?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drinksahoy

Reaction score
Once again I am victim to the running out of space dilemma. And being the engineering student that I am I won't accept defeat but rather a solution.
So I came up with this: bottle 2 gallons of still white grape cherry wine at 10.5% with a final gravity of 1.0 and then next week when my beer bottles arrive my plan is to dump these back into the bottling bucket, prime, and bottle again into the beer bottles. This way I'll achieve my goal of carbonation.

Am I doing too much switching around here to maintain a quality beverage?

-wynx

You'll oxidize the heck out of it if you dump it back into the bottling bucket.

Maybe I missed it but I don't quite follow - bottle now because you don't have bottles, then bottle again when bottles arrive? Do you mean you'll put it in wine bottles now then put into beer bottles later?

Truth is I am not sure that you will really spoil this wine. Micro amounts of air may even improve the wine but the problem will be like any rusting process (oxidation) that over a long time the miniscule effects of oxidation you will get from dumping bottles and rebottling may shorten the "shelf life" of your wine. If you were making 2 barrels rather than 2 gallons that may be a problem but if your plan was to age this batch a few weeks and then work your way through them (or give them away to friends and family) over the next 6 - 9 months or a year or so then I doubt that you will be able to detect any sherry- like flavors that are not present today.

I ran out of carboy space and needed to transfer some stuff to a secondary and this has been sitting in its secondary plenty long. I mean I would siphon it back into the bottling bucket to reduce oxidation. I also used a bottling wand to get it into the wine bottles last night. I'm doing my best to minimalize the oxidation.

Is 1 week to long to just wait? I'm not sure how strict the timing is for beer and wine, but i'm fairly certain 1 extra week in primary or secondary wont really impact cider to much. Off flavors probably wont develop from one extra week.

Leave it until the bottles show up. You can keep it in there an extra month or more if you really needed. Fiddling around with it won't necessarily do anything bad but it will increase the probability of something going wrong.

Latest posts

Back