Bottle Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow99

Reaction score
I am brewing my first beer, it is a Hefeweizen.

I have it in the second fermentation.
Need to know how long after I bottle my Hefeweizen, do I let it set for 2 weeks or put in the fridge and for how long before I drink it.

Thank u, snow99

As long as the FG is met you don't even have to put the HW in a secondary.

I use secondaries for my HWs so more of the yeast can drop out and won't taste yeasty.

EDIT: I just read your question again. Sorry for not really answering it in the first place.

Let the bottles sit at room temp (around 70 F if possible) for 4 days before sampling one. If the carbonation level is too low let it go another 3 days before sampling again. If the 2nd sample is good then put all of them (minus 1) into the fridge to stop further fermentation. Let them sit at least 48 hours (1 week is better) before drinking any of them.

At the end of 10 days chill the bottle you did not put in the fridge. Take notes about the carbonation levels and flavor. I do this to make sure I did not over carbonate the bottles. I've had bottles of HW that never went into the fridge, never foamed over when opened and never exploded. If this is the case for you then you can safely remove the bottles from the fridge if you need the room. If not then just leave them there and drink at your leisure. Good luck.

Last edited:
Condition your beer ie add corn sugar bulk or each bottle and cap and let sit for 2 weeks should be good to drink after 2 weeks.

Condition your beer for at least two weeks at around 70°F to 74°F before sampling the first bottle. Chill the sample bottle for a full day before sampling. The chilling will force more of the CO2 produced into solution rather than just having a good pop when you uncap the bottle.

At cooler temperatures bottle conditioning will take longer.

I condition most beers at least 2 weeks at room temp, but hefeweizen quickly looses its unique character. I put 1 or 2 in the fridge at 10 days, taste the next day, and if it's carbonated start chilling and drinking the rest right away.

Back